Questions on SOZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I get the gist of how the circuit works, but what are the 1 ohm resistors for.

The reason I ask is that I am planning to build a SOZ type amp, but using constant current sources. I searched to see if anyone else has done this, but it seemed most of the interest was in aleph type current sources. Since i'm a total beginner to amp building, I want to keep it to a design I understand fully.

I'm also trying to keep it as cheap as possible, so anytime I can substitute a cheap fet for a 250w resistor is cool with me.

if the cost of 250 watt power resistors is holding you back, you
don't need them rated that high if you are building a SOZ that's
rated under 10 watts. If you want more power, paralleling lower
wattage resistors works too, spreads the heat too.

WARNING though, the SOZ is a amp requiring BIG heatsinks... it's
a space heater, even at 10 watts!!

Regarding current sources, i remember reading posts from Grey
Rollins trying to work... here's the topic header:

Pass Son of Zen w/current sources (etc.)

might be a good place to start reading ;)

Not to discourage you, but if you are a total beginner, i would
reccomend building the Zen V4... because it has a great article
written by Mr. Pass and you can get PCB's, and tons of help here
on the forum. Wouldn't be a bad place to start.

just my two cents worth!

Yah, judging by that thread I think I missed a few things.

My main concern at the moment is scalability, and trying to limit the design to parts I already have, which is why the SOZ looked good to me.

one of the zen variations would probably work well in that regard. Looking at my parts bin, and the schematics, I think the zen-v2 is probably the best answer.

Power supply is my only concern.

In the article Nelson mentions running it from the original 32v supply, but can I run it off of even lower voltages? I have some hefty 120v -> 13.5 V transformers. I don't know the exact math, but I'm guessing that will put my voltage in the 20's, although the transformers have a slightly shorter tap on the primary that I could probably use to bump it up a few volts.

Assuming the supply will work, the only thing I'll need to pick up are the 10000uF caps on the output.

I have 3 68000uF ones that I was going to use for power supply. Am I correct in assuming that they're just being used to block DC, and I could use only 1 in the power supply, and use the remaining ones in place of the 10000's? I don't plan to leave it that way, but it shouldn't have much of an effect on the output, correct?

Heh, I didn't want to build anything I don't completely understand, so I guess I better start thinking about that fancy current source.
:scratch:

l8r.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.