An illustrated guide to building an F5

another solution is a F5 mini. running on +/-15V and 0.8A bias. with a J-fet boz preamp.
that will give you alot of good sound for a smal amount of power.

Sorry to jump in on this thread.

Terrific reading by the way with great build photos -- thanks! -- and it's really given me the urge to try an F5 build as my next project. I built some Mini A's a few years ago (they're in storage right now) but havent been here in ages and havent done any DIYing either.

The F5 looks like a great build and I spotted AudioSan's post on using a transformer with 15v secondaries -- which I can take from my Mini A's. I would love this as it would save quite a bit of money. But I'm really a beginner, so have to ask if there would be big changes in the circuit using a 15v toroid instead of an 18v ???? Also, what would the approximate output power be? My Mini A's were around 10w into 8ohms IIRC and I never felt I lacked power!

Thanks for any advice!

Hi all,

Me again with still more problems :(
It took a while but I finally received new fjets (Q1 & 2) and installed them.(thank you Spencer)
At first turning P1 & 2 Igot no response. I turned off the amp and then turned on again and R12 started smoking...
Please help- what's next? Changing Q4?

Hi all,

Me again with still more problems :(
It took a while but I finally received new fjets (Q1 & 2) and installed them.(thank you Spencer)
At first turning P1 & 2 Igot no response. I turned off the amp and then turned on again and R12 started smoking...
Please help- what's next? Changing Q4?

Review the back of the pcb, burned the R12 is likely to have burnt some clue circuit...

Attachments

• F5_ajh65.JPG
    F5_ajh65.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 589
  • F5_ajh67.JPG
    F5_ajh67.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 593
  • F5_ajh38.JPG
    F5_ajh38.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 567
Yeah AndrewT - well, I'm not technical nor designer. Just like to know how to handle audio and solder and screws. Follow some rules and just turned on the amp.. Heats much but works very well. Pat Metheny's guitar sounds better and interpretations of Mike Oldfield or Vollenweider are more vivid. Very good. I hope to continue working in Brazil have much heat.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thank you for acknowledging those people who helped you with your build - this community cannot survive without the free interchange of ideas and assistance to those whom are interested in learning through DIY. :D :D :D

Please honor them by helping another who would like to build an amp of his own! :)

6L6 Thanks for helping me get my F5 build going. I keep coming back to this post and the pictures when I am puzzled on the details. I have most of the parts - ready to start the physical chassis stuff. DIY Store 4U Deluxe chassis is nice - wish they nicer feet. Cheap plastic - any ideas for decent chassis feet?

I have started to slide down a very slippery slope. B1 boards on the way. Pearl 2 boards on the way. My 30 year old Yamaha turntable is not nice enough (according to my wife) to bring into the living room - had to upgrade to a Rega RP1 with the Performance Pack. :)