First taste of Papa's new devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• Brunhilde Bugs Bunny Fool Opera.jpg
    Brunhilde Bugs Bunny Fool Opera.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 306
Amplifier building works this way. Either you build something published by Nelson Pass or Michael Rothacher, because they have at least built one working prototype. So these circuits work.

Or you roll your own, and then it is nice to do some simulations of course. But simulations only bring you so far. At one point in time you have to solder up your precocious silicon (or silicon carbide) to measure on, and to listen to the real thing. You have to take this risk. You are now into amplifier design, and everybody who have designed something have also seen the smoke coming out, one way or another. (You know, these machines work on smoke, now and then the smoke is let out, and the machine stops working!)

Ah.. But often design, of course, is really modifying and building upon some earlier work. That gives you a platform, you won't design some revolutionary new circuit of course, but you will end up with your own new design! (For example, maybe you could use a tube as a front end to these SITs? I have not seen anybody do that yet.)

Good luck with your amplifiers!

And so I will...
It's not really surprising that a bespoke, unobtainable part doesn't come with a data sheet. So, maybe we could cut him some slack.
I've not tried to come down on anyone, particularly Nelson for NOT having a data sheet. Please link where I have. What I have done is asked anyone if they did have some specs for the PASS-SIT-1. And yes, I expressed that I am quite surprised that SemiSouth did not provide Nelson a datasheet for a custom device for which he paid big dollars. If I paid a hefty amount for a batch of custom devices, I would have expected a datasheet of at least some description.

Did someone tell you that there was information about PASS-SIT-1 to be found in the article? The abstract doesn't seem to suggest that.
In your blog to which I linked above, you provided a model for the PASS-SIT-1. And you also note:
NOTE* The model described here has been replaced by an improved version which appears in Linear Audio Volume 6.
...so even though no specific types were mentioned, naturally I was expecting to see the new and improved PASS-SIT-1 model as well as the 2SK82 in the LA6 bookzine. Was that such an unreasonable expectation?

Incidentally, my email address is working fine. You could have asked.
That's good to know. OK, I will;
Do you have PASS-SIT-1 parameters for your new model?

I'm also sorry that some browsers don't support all of HTML5. Writing a program like that takes a lot of time, and in between writing articles, making videos, building projects, oh and my day job, I really didn't have the extra hours available to program work arounds for IE, Safari, or God knows what. If installing Chrome is a problem for you, I'm sorry I can't help.
First off, I greatly appreciate all the articles you've written which I have read, including the "Simulating SITs" entry. I humbly respect your technical experience and abilities. What doesn't make sense to me however, is why a web application would be written in a version of html that isn't compatible with the majority of browsers that the majority of folks are using, such as FF, or IE?

It depends, good enough for what? What are you making with these unobtainable parts?
Good enough to produce realistic results. I would hope for something on the order of a SPICE JFET or MOSFET model. What am I making? Audiophile amps/preamps, guitar/bass amps/preamps/processors. I am doing some fairly in-depth research at the moment, and since I have great respect for NP's design experience and ears, I trust his critiques of the devices he works with, including the PASS-SIT-1. I'm looking to fully characterize the SIT's for comparison sake. My research thus far indicates that SIT devices may not be the only holy grail of amplifier devices as many espouse.

On the other hand, it doesn't model everything else. So, if you want to hang out with the sim guys and blather on as if you were talking about a real circuit and making real observations about johnson noise, and spectra-this, quantum-that, and what George Costanza would call "mental masturbation", you'll be left wanting.
I'll never understand why so many have such hostility towards SPICE simulation and those that use it.

But no, I don't think I'm one of those "sim guys" (although I use simulation extensively in many areas of research and design), whoever those "sim guys" are to which you refer.

Last edited:
Oh, and by the way, cut Zen Mod some slack. He was just trying to impart a little old-fashioned wisdom about catching more flies with honey than with crap. A bit of wisdom that would serve you well.

I'm not new to forums, and I know a troll when I see one. The moderators here are consistent in asking members to stay on topic and focus on the facts. I have complied until reply #156; has he?

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks, I'm glad we could end that on a friendly note, so here's an olive branch for your research:

I'm finding that the more modern Sic devices (mostly planar) model better with Koren and the older buried-gate stuff works pretty well with the concise model. Not that we have a big sample of modern device curves to look at, which makes it more challenging. So, we find something that suits our particular need and then we get on with the business of making amplifiers.

Best,

Mike

I'll stick with the Koren model for the PASS-SIT-1 then, thanks.

I am intrigued by the smoothly-incremental, "symmetric" output curves of the SIT-1 (should produce a strong 3rd harmonic at onset of limiting) compared to the typical asymmetrical curves of the 2SK82 (which should produce mostly 2nd harmonic).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.