Bride of Zen problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bridge of Zen problem

Hello, I began to built the Power supply of the bridge of Zen today and I have problem !!!
At the output of the power suppluy, I have only 47 V !!!!!
At the output of the bridge, I have 93 V !!! I have 69V AC at the output of the transformer, , more than on the shema but the output of the power supply is "unload"
I use the TIP29CFS of DIGIKEY.... maybe it is not the same of TIP29CGE ???
At the base of the TIP29, I have 47 V.... I suppose to have 60....
At the collector, I have 93v
At the emitter, I have 60 v

I need some help !!!! I don't know the problem !!!!

thank you very much !!!

Hi, I built several weeks ago a "Bride of Zen" preamp. You can take a look a my thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13570

I use the TIP29CFS of DIGIKEY.... maybe it is not the same of TIP29CGE ???

Since TIP29CFS is obsolete, yes, you can replace those by TIP29CGE.

Concerning you power supply problem, please verify that your transformer's secondarie are correctly connected (Attention to phase, generally identified by a dot). Also, check diodes polarity. I don't know if you're using P2P or PCB technique but if you're using PCB, make sure that your supply wiring looks like this :
I hope this helps

Attachments

• boz supply.jpg
    boz supply.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,412
Yes, if you have 47V at the base of the tip, you will see a little less than 47V at the output of the power supply. This only means your PS is working. If you want 60V instead of 47V you have to check the zehner diode chain. at the point between the zehners and R1, at the base, you need 60,6V. Maybe you mounted a zehner wrong way, or it is defective. Use a Voltmeter and measure beween every zehner diode in the chain. What voltages do you read?

In case you have 60V at the emitter you have 60V at the output of the powersupply. And at the emitter is NOT across C2. across C2 is the base, and in case you have 60V at the base you should have 59,4V at the emitter with a right mounted and not blown TIP29.

I propose you download a datasheet of the transistor and take a look which pin is base, emitter and collector, and check your wireing.
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=tip29+datasheet&spell=1

From what you tell i feel you mixed up the pis and mounted the transistor wrong way.
http://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/sites/bau/schalt/02012911.gif

It helps to look at the pinout before soldering. It helps to look here http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/brideofzen.pdf
how the device should be connected.
good luck!

Thank you very much..... I inverted the collector with the emitter !!!
Now, I have 59,5 V at the output !!! thank you for your help !!!
I have an other question, I just want to know if the 93V on C1 is a problem, I use a 1000uf 100V by ELNA ???
thank you again !!!!

Hi, I just recently became a proud "father" of boz. It is working great, but I just tested it with a discman as input, Marantz 2020 (old 20W reciever) on the output, and bad cables (some speaker wire was laying around, and I didn't buy shielded cable). So, when I play music it sounds good (as bad as discman;), but I hear a slight hum. I didn't connect all the GND's to mains ground. Can you tell me how to get rid of the humm? I have 3.91V across R104 which is 1.2 kohm (should I lover it down to,say 820?).

- make sure you wired the circuit correctly and with right values.

- did you use the Tip29 you allready smoked halfway? try a new one?

- what kind of transformer do you use?

- R104 1kOhm or less? what happens with only this resistor connected to the power supply (between GND and the TIP29?

- What value is R1?

- Did you use larger value than 47,5 Ohm for R2 and R3 ?

If you let them out there will be no connection/ no current may flow. You need to substitute them by a piece of wire, a 0Ohm resistor, short them with a cable etc. You don´t need them for funktion. The provide filtering for better power supply / clean voltage.

Better first you tell me: are they 47.5 R or 47,5 kOhm ??? And do you have 47,5 R on hand or not? if not and they are 47,5k , short them.

And be sure you wired the circuit correctly!

what happens now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.