diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Suggestions for SemiSouth R100s (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/187412-suggestions-semisouth-r100s.html)

NYCOne 19th April 2011 10:42 PM

Suggestions for SemiSouth R100s

I'm getting a set of Semi South R100s (four) and I'm seeking suggestions for amps. It seems like folks have had the best outcome with the Aleph J. The J2 is intriguing, but the designs floating around seem immature.

What have folks been most satisfied with?

Zen Mod 19th April 2011 10:49 PM

well

I tried them in J , but J2 is better ...... even if bastard between these two should certainly have own merits

I presume my , still untested , Big Donut amp is interesting ...... but I'm biased :clown:

Nelson Pass 20th April 2011 04:47 AM

You can pretty much put R100's as a drop in for N ch mosfets, keeping in mind the differences in Vgs values, which are on the order of a volt and a half.

You should expect lower distortion and wider bandwidth without any effort.

Keep in mind that there are some DC gate currents on the order of 10 microamps or so, and you should confirm the value If the source impedance is high.

:cool:

NYCOne 20th April 2011 08:22 AM

Aleph JX experience

I'm sure folks have tried the Semi Souths in an Aleph JX. Can I elicit opinions on the outcome vs the stock Aleph JX, Aleph J?

qusp 20th April 2011 02:09 PM

well i intend on trying it with jx, but from what i gather some more drive is needed from the input stage when using them. anyone care to offer a solution? is it as simple as paralleling more fuses and using little heatsinks? finding the illusive j109v?
or must we keep jx rather than jjx by using a different device like small mosfet or bipolar (or little linear tech ref) and losing mosfet for r100? these are things i intend to find out, but i also would like to hear from those who have tried it.

buzzforb 20th April 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Pass (Post 2544628)
You can pretty much put R100's as a drop in for N ch mosfets, keeping in mind the differences in Vgs values, which are on the order of a volt and a half.

You should expect lower distortion and wider bandwidth without any effort.

Keep in mind that there are some DC gate currents on the order of 10 microamps or so, and you should confirm the value If the source impedance is high.

Do the SS jfets have a different sonic signature than the mfets. I know there is a different sound, but is this a result of lower distorion or is it a combination of lower distortion and all together different sound. Kind of like different kt88 tubes.

flg 20th April 2011 05:49 PM

Circlotron :Pawprint:

Nelson Pass 20th April 2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzforb (Post 2545002)
Do the SS jfets have a different sonic signature than the mfets. I know there is a different sound, but is this a result of lower distortion or is it a combination of lower distortion and all together different sound. Kind of like different kt88 tubes.

When I get lower distortion out of a part I tend to use it as
an excuse for less feedback, so the net result is often not
less measured distortion.

I like the sound of the Jfets - it's more relaxed and organic
in quality, and of course this reflects my taste. If I listened
to punk or metal, or if I am watching TV or driving the car,
then these things wouldn't be important.

buzzforb 20th April 2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Pass (Post 2545478)
When I get lower distortion out of a part I tend to use it as
an excuse for less feedback, so the net result is often not
less measured distortion.

I like the sound of the Jfets - it's more relaxed and organic
in quality, and of course this reflects my taste. If I listened
to punk or metal, or if I am watching TV or driving the car,
then these things wouldn't be important.

THanks.
Needed an good explanation for my wife to buy 6 of them to put in my 3 pair AJ mono blocks. As if they aren't good enough..... I think i may have a problem.

Zen Mod 20th April 2011 10:38 PM

ask Papa for recipe - how to choose a wife ;

he bought truckload of his own Papafets

:rofl: