Choices, choices, decisions, decisions! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2011, 04:42 PM   #11
RIP

At the risk of being badly flamed, the F5 is worthy of a look, but I disagree with the line "everybody who builds it is very pleased with its performance and quality". For some it simply is not their cup of tea.
Old 19th April 2011, 04:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

So, what exactly IS an Aleph, an Aleph-X and an Aleph J-X.

I guess the J-X is the JFET frontend version.... Hmmm I like JFETs, something inherent about them that wants me to use them! And which of these pre-amps are designed to drive which power amps... or can they be mixed and matched? Basic questions I'm struggling to find the answers to really.

So many looooong threads to wade through! With my poor memory I just end up confused.

Now for a REALLY stupid question that has been bugging me. (Sorry about this one!!!):

Most amp designs I see a signal coming in, ref to GND, pre-amped and then amped to the speakers. Simples. However on some of these designs I see a In+ and In- on the pre-amp, (a la op-amp). This then drives a preamped Out+ and Out-, connected to In- and In+ on the pwr amp. I LIKE THIS. balanced. Makes much sense to me... but how to connect the 'line-in' to the preamp In+ and In-... I guess the In- doesn't just get strapped to GND ref of incoming signal does it?

Andy
Old 19th April 2011, 05:14 PM   #13
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fuss View Post
but I disagree with the line "everybody who builds it is very pleased with its performance and quality". For some it simply is not their cup of tea.

But would you agree that although it may not be to everyone's taste, it is still high quality and good performing? That's what I was trying to say.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:30 PM   #14
RIP

Sure, I can agree with that, depending on one's construction details, but it didn't come close to what I was expecting. Purely subjective of course, so YMMV.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:34 PM   #15
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwurlde View Post
... but how to connect the 'line-in' to the preamp In+ and In-... I guess the In- doesn't just get strapped to GND ref of incoming signal does it?

Andy
Yes. It does.
Most cases however will benifit from a balanced source...
Old 19th April 2011, 05:37 PM   #16
RIP

Andy, you're in deep trouble here. If you don't know what an Aleph amp is, there is no way you should be looking at an Aleph-X. Go to PassDIY and study the Zen articles, there are no shortcuts available except buying commercial units.

No disrespect intended.

Best, Bill
Old 19th April 2011, 05:46 PM   #17
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Andy

Here is a link to show the difference between Aleph 3 and Aleph X

http://www.kk-pcb.com/amps.html
Old 19th April 2011, 08:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

@Bill, no dis taken! But, once I get my head around what goes with what and what I need to figure out I'll get there! Not entirely stupid with this stuff and am more than capable. Honest guv! But like I said, I am struggling with all the variants and spin-offs, trying to suss exactly what the basic stages actually are (if u catch my drift)... quite typical of forums in general I guess!

Andt
Old 19th April 2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Marra is online now Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Andy; forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but a lot depends on whether your sources have balanced[xlr] or single ended[rca] outputs. I don't think its worth building a balanced power amp if your going to run it single ended; negates any benifit I believe. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:40 PM   #20
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

underwurlde

take a look at CheffdeGaar's ( wakoo Frenchy - it's hard to remember that spelling ) amp :
UGS Power : it's U.P.

it's more elegant than Aleph X ( at least for my wakoo brain) , even if sonic difference between them is matter of taste

from engineering point of view , it's superior - better temp/offset behavior ..... and - at least to my knowledge - more like PL AX amps , considering that Aleph X is more like predecessors - PL X amps

and yes - SUSY is best served when hot ........ oups - when fed balanced

Hide this!Advertise here!