Integrating tube into F4 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I read about the F4 and love the suggestion of using it as a trans-impedance amplifier for a tube-based voltage amplifier.

So, my question is about making the combination simpler by integrating a tube into the F4 itself. I'm looking for your input on the idea, cautions, suggestions etc.

I'll try to explain using a couple of diagrams. I've taken some liberties with the F4 schematic to keep it simple :cool: so it might not make much sense without checking out the original schematic [http://www.firstwatt.com/f4.html]

Option A: This shows a tube voltage amplifier capacitively coupled to the F4 much as would happen if the tube amp and the F4 were separated.

Option B: integrates the tube into the F4 itself. There is still a coupling cap but now it has to be at the input of the tube - I'm not claiming any advantage for this.

In both cases I'm looking at using a single rail supply for the F4 - my trafo's have no centre taps :mad:

I know this isn't the tube forum but I'm looking for some F4 experts to give me some input on whether the changes implied in option B would have some unintended consequences on the performance of the solid state part ?

Attachments

• OptionA.JPG
    OptionA.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 407
  • OptionB.JPG
    OptionB.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 400
Thanks for the tip Itsmee - seems though that it is not based on a single triode which is what I'm looking for here. I can see some discussion (after post 930'ish) about using an F4 with the JFETs chopped off, but without the JFET buffer to shield the tubes from the capacitance of the output FETs I don't think it's going to be a good idea to use a simple single tube to driver it.

I'm wondering, there's a chance to replace jfets with tubes, in F4 amplifier. May be this is a stupid question, I know, there is doesn't exist P type tube part, but after all...
Wacky Gyuri

PS.:
It is also appropriate for me if anyone knows a good tube front-end for F4, as is.
Seems to me, the Borbély Balanced Tube Lineamp not really a good solution:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/173960-suggest-me-preamp-my-f4-5.html
Although I have not tried this.
But anyone can say anything, I'll try this out.
They are the experts to find some solution to this.
I am not an expert, as we all know this.

YouTube - Laurie Anderson / Only An Expert / Maybe if I Fall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.