First watt Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Audio_D is offline Audio_D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default First watt Build

Hi All

I would like to bild a first Watt F2 or F3 for my Fostex fullrange horns, reading through a few threads it seems the F3 may be a more versitle amp so I am looking to get the circuit boards.

I can get the F2 boards but would also like to know if any F3 are available. I will be reading up on the F5 also as there seems to be a lot about it, is it an improvement over my other choices or just a differnt type of amp?

Thanks

Audio_D
Old 13th April 2011, 04:37 PM   #2
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Check Peter Danials for boards. Audio Sector maybe? Otherwise a search may be fruitfull??? Don't forget an F3 is almost the same as a ZV9...
Old 14th April 2011, 02:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply, Nelson as also commented towards the F3, however I would like to use circuit boards with whatever one i choose to build.

F2 boards are what I can get hold of at the moment so its looking like an F2 build for now. Once I can get the list of component check availability then I can make a start.

I was going to go for a Type 45 valve amp to go with the Fostex speakers, but some Pass amps are built for full range plus the use of a little more power so here we are, the hunt for F2 components.
Old 14th April 2011, 04:53 PM   #4
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_D View Post
I was going to go for a Type 45 valve amp to go with the Fostex speakers, but:
Oh yea baby, Love them 45s
However, maybe you should consider the F2J?
Old 14th April 2011, 07:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I went from 45 tubes to a F5 on my Fostex horns and it trounced the 45 in virtually every way. I'm going to try a F2j once I get the jfets for it.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
I went from 45 tubes to a F5 on my Fostex horns and it trounced the 45 in virtually every way. I'm going to try a F2j once I get the jfets for it.
Agreed! I've been a hard core tube guy for years, and this F-5 really caused me some serious rethinking. I have several projects in the hopper, no tubes in any of them, all Pass of course. I NEVER thought that would happen.

And no, it isnt a case of "its a solid state amp that sounds like tubes" it really isnt. It does not sound like a tube amp, it sounds better.

Russellc
Old 15th April 2011, 02:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The 45 has slightly more of that tube "sweetness" in the middle range, but the F5 is miles ahead of it in so many other ways that there's no contest. That's not to say the F5 isn't sweet, it's sweeter than any PP tube amp I've heard. Just not as sweet as a 45 SET
Old 19th April 2011, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Guy's;... thanks for the responses on this, so good reports on the F5 and that 6 moons article is also encouraging.

So... anyone know of any PCB,s going?
F5, F2j, F3 ?

Audio-D
Old 19th April 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
The 45 has slightly more of that tube "sweetness" in the middle range, but the F5 is miles ahead of it in so many other ways that there's no contest. That's not to say the F5 isn't sweet, it's sweeter than any PP tube amp I've heard. Just not as sweet as a 45 SET
I have a 45 amp build going on, (has been for years) and when it is finished, I would like to run it into the F-4.

Russellc
Old 19th April 2011, 04:58 PM   #10
ramallo is offline ramallo  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ramallo
The F5 is a great amplifier, one of the greatest, I have other Pass amplifiers (DIY and commercials). The XA30.5 is my favorite but shared with the F5.

The F5 make a superb combination with the DCB1 (But be careful with the offset)

Hide this!Advertise here!