First watt Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I would like to bild a first Watt F2 or F3 for my Fostex fullrange horns, reading through a few threads it seems the F3 may be a more versitle amp so I am looking to get the circuit boards.

I can get the F2 boards but would also like to know if any F3 are available. I will be reading up on the F5 also as there seems to be a lot about it, is it an improvement over my other choices or just a differnt type of amp?

Thanks

Audio_D:)

Thanks for the reply, Nelson as also commented towards the F3, however I would like to use circuit boards with whatever one i choose to build.

F2 boards are what I can get hold of at the moment so its looking like an F2 build for now. Once I can get the list of component check availability then I can make a start.

I was going to go for a Type 45 valve amp to go with the Fostex speakers, but some Pass amps are built for full range plus the use of a little more power so here we are, the hunt for F2 components.:trapper:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I went from 45 tubes to a F5 on my Fostex horns and it trounced the 45 in virtually every way. I'm going to try a F2j once I get the jfets for it.

Agreed! I've been a hard core tube guy for years, and this F-5 really caused me some serious rethinking. I have several projects in the hopper, no tubes in any of them, all Pass of course. I NEVER thought that would happen.

And no, it isnt a case of "its a solid state amp that sounds like tubes" it really isnt. It does not sound like a tube amp, it sounds better.:cool::eek:

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The 45 has slightly more of that tube "sweetness" in the middle range, but the F5 is miles ahead of it in so many other ways that there's no contest. That's not to say the F5 isn't sweet, it's sweeter than any PP tube amp I've heard. Just not as sweet as a 45 SET

I have a 45 amp build going on, (has been for years) and when it is finished, I would like to run it into the F-4.

Russellc

The F5 is a great amplifier, one of the greatest, I have other Pass amplifiers (DIY and commercials). The XA30.5 is my favorite but shared with the F5.

The F5 make a superb combination with the DCB1 (But be careful with the offset)
Almost as great as the heatsink :O....

Can any of his designs be made to work off say 0.5 to 0.8C/W sinks? Preferably one sink per channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.