Babelfishing by Mighty AR2 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2011, 11:06 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
I used to be the Jacco-Hammer, but hey, i'm not getting any Jung-er you know.
Old 14th May 2011, 02:22 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Great job, AR2.
Thanks for sharing with us...
Old 14th November 2012, 01:59 PM   #43
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

this thread needs update

Old 14th November 2012, 04:53 PM   #44
juma is online now juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oprem dobro
Old 14th November 2012, 04:54 PM   #45
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Vi?e od igre - epizoda 8. Parastosi - OPREM DOBRO - YouTube
Old 13th November 2015, 07:40 AM   #46
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

It is time to wake up this old thread, it has been a while, but there is a good reason for it. This will be a short story made long. I was thinking if I should post in a different place, like under digital source, might be more appropriate there... but than it is all the same project that Choky started talking here in in this thread in 2011.

Huh, 4 years... This endeavor is actually much longer, but lets say it started somewhere in 2010. It has been a real DIY project, started as one idea - a digital crossover, changed to something else (analog crossover) out of frustration since the first idea did not work, finished that one than went back to the original one and here we are in 2015.

During this process, I made a great friendships with people that supported me, and helped me so much. Without them I would not be able to finish - period. I learned so much, but it was such a frustration failing along the way. This project throw on me every challenge that is humanly possibly to imagine. I burned both DACs three times, I changed the design who knows how many times, if it was not hardware obstacle, than it was mechanical, if it was not mechanical, than it was software... It costed me arm and leg and some more. I was pushed to learn PCB design, toner transfer and etching, and sending it out for board manufacturing. I could say I am an expert now on wire crimping, hahaha.

I work at crazy place with absolutely crazy people, where my life goes to vacuum for several months since we work insane hours and weekends. When we are done with that, books we create go to press, than I go back to sort of normal hours and I could spend some time with family and my audio passion. So I start work on projects around 9PM and finish at 2 AM. By definition everything I burned happened at around 1:30 AM. I literally had situation where I was done... than I connected the last wire.... than all is gone in a split second.

So, not to put you to sleep, I will post this picture, make a break and continue in the next post. Here is the Sunfire digital processor, that I got from ebay relatively inexpensive. It was broken, fried, gone... and I thought it will be a great enclosure for my project. Pretty large so I could fit anything in it... So I thought. Unlike interior, exterior was in a mint shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunfire00022.jpg (100.6 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg Sunfire00020.jpg (936.1 KB, 502 views)
Old 13th November 2015, 09:00 AM   #47
Master Burner

Now here are some technical details. I tried to make the best 4 channel digital crossover with DACs and source - 4 channel USB to I2S converter in synchronous mode, driven by high quality clock. DACs are completely isolated from any direction - I2S, I2C lines, Master clock lines... The special attention is given to power supplies, where every piece has its on transformer or separate winding, with the highest quality regulators, that are in many places double or triple regulated.

The digital crossover is consisted of:

Titan USB to I2S converter in slave synchronous mode from Light Harmonic, used in their DaVinci DAC
Da Vinci DAC MKII - Light Harmonic

2 of Acko DAC boards using ESS9012 chips. Each DAC uses 7 separate high quality regulators. They are fed from separate pre regulators.
DAC - ACKOLABS

Both source and DACs are provided with master clock from Turbo clock from Acko. Turbo clock uses 2 power supplies, 5 an 7 v, separately provided from Super Regulators from Sjostrom , but than again there are very high quality regulators to take it down to 3.3 V and 5 V
Sjöström Audio - Home

DACs are used in voltage mode. I use to have Lundahl transformers in the output, but I changed that to capacitors. First I installed 0.47uF M caps Supreme, but than had to change them to physically smaller teflon caps. They simply did not fit in the case.

Than dual balanced analog relay board volume control from Jos VanEjindhoven
RelaiXedSMD -- Documentation

And finally dual balanced buffers, based on Nelson Pass's buffer designed by Zen Mod and with my designed PCB Booards. These buffers are fed each with +- 15Vs by Sjoatroms Super regulators.

Arduino is used to control DACs parameters and VFD screen, but not for volume.

All of digital lines and signals are isolated by Ian's 4 wire isolator boards.

OK, time for some pictures: After gutting the case, this is how it was looking a the start. I ended up with 3 layers -floors, like this one shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Podrum Lab00070.jpg (322.8 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg Podrum Lab00073.jpg (329.7 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Podrum Lab00076.jpg (552.8 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg Podrum Lab00083.jpg (676.7 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by AR2; 13th November 2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 13th November 2015, 09:06 AM   #48
Master Burner

Continuing story tomorrow morning. Pretty late right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SunfireCrossover (2) .jpg (249.9 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Sunfire00125.jpg (305.8 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg _E8A5092.jpg (448.4 KB, 266 views)
Old 13th November 2015, 11:26 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Do you have a schematic for the balanced buffers. Such trivialities can be very important pieces of the puzzle. Add to that ZM having a hand in it. Cant help but be interested
Old 13th November 2015, 05:51 PM   #50
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Do you have a schematic for the balanced buffers. Such trivialities can be very important pieces of the puzzle. Add to that ZM having a hand in it. Cant help but be interested
Here you are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffer2_schematic.jpg (269.6 KB, 278 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!