Babelfishing by Mighty AR2 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2011, 05:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I always thought control knobs should feel sturdy but I never thought to use a roller bearing as large as the ******** knob!

How did you handle the inner race and thrust load?
Old 17th April 2011, 05:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

so many rights it becomes wrong.

so impressive.
Old 17th April 2011, 05:44 PM   #13
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
I always thought control knobs should feel sturdy but I never thought to use a roller bearing as large as the ******** knob!

How did you handle the inner race and thrust load?
It just happen that knob is millimeter standard, and bearing I got is inch standard, which makes bearing just tiny, tiny larger than knob. That works perfect, because knob essentially rest on the bottom of the bearing and that is where it rolls. This is not situation where I would press fit knob into the bearing so like this bearing still keeps knob straight and the rotation is smooth. The difference in diameter is less than 1 mm.
Old 17th April 2011, 07:23 PM   #14
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

nice work!!!, looking forward to seeing what you do with the ackodac etc digital montage, as its a challenging and satisfying build that rewards creative thinking for layout. I also love the bearing idea, i might just steal it depending on how well the encoder shafts hold up on my dac since i'm using 50mm x 45mm solid titanium knobs i had made. titanium is light for its strength and this strength allows you to go much thinner with constructing designs; therefor the result is light, but solid titanium is not light. i just need to finish off the outside finish with electrolysis ala Guggenheim.

whats happening with all this? way i see it a lot of this will be going the way of the dodo when you have finished the dac
Old 17th April 2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
nice work!!!, looking forward to seeing what you do with the ackodac etc digital montage, as its a challenging and satisfying build that rewards creative thinking for layout. I also love the bearing idea, i might just steal it depending on how well the encoder shafts hold up on my dac since i'm using 50mm x 45mm solid titanium knobs i had made. titanium is light for its strength and this strength allows you to go much thinner with constructing designs; therefor the result is light, but solid titanium is not light. i just need to finish off the outside finish with electrolysis ala Guggenheim.

whats happening with all this? way i see it a lot of this will be going the way of the dodo when you have finished the dac
Quisp, I am glad you like it. This project was originally planned for AKM4396 DACs but will be most likely used after Legato boards to eliminate caps in the signal. I am also aware that Legato 3 will be without caps, so I am curious to see. And yes, I just received parts from DigyKey to populate Acko's boards, that are exceptional! My system will have Acko'sDacs and Legato3 in the output. Based on results from Legato3 once I receive it, I will determine the whole concept. I already have a good idea of what to do in order to minimize I2S lines as well as clock lines, since I will try to implement master clock distributed circuit, for all involved parts.
You are more than welcome to try ball bearing, I love it. I will also like to try titanium, although I am sure that takes some time for machining. Thank you for the tip!
Old 17th April 2011, 08:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

ooohhhhh......carbon fiber, in a twill weave pattern. You've got to love that stuff--and it's become universally used in race cars these days, too.

I can't tell by the pics--is that a true twill-weave composite (and epoxy resin) or is it a vinyl applique?

Very, very nice.....!
Old 17th April 2011, 08:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
where bb's come into the play.
Fletch says it's all ball bearings these days, at least two.
Old 17th April 2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post
or is it a vinyl applique?

Very, very nice.....!

Vinyl?.... Poooh yak..... hahahaha
No this is a real twill wave composite. Here is a link:
Carbon Fiber Veneer

Really beautiful material and I think exceptional for DIY. Cut with the scissors, self adhesive backing, super high gloss finish, strong as steel and some more, what else to ask. 3D effect is just astonishing and mated with anodized mans sized Al looks just right.
Old 17th April 2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Master Burner

You know, now that you mentioned, I have been exploring the possibility of using carbon fibre for various purposes. To start with making speakers, but it is very expensive proposal to do it in the thickness needed. Maybe if it is just reinforcing something else, but that defets the purpose ... I was also thinking of making the full sheet for the front plate, but I was worried how it is going to work with my milling tools. It is also too expensive to play with... so since I already had Al plate, this came out great that is in the form of veneer. All in all I am using it for looks, I am not that type that is trying to minimize resonance of the case to lower vibration of the solid state preamp... hahaha It worked great applied to the aluminum and than openings were milled. Than I follow with the file, and that took care since the cut is not as clean as on Aluminum. You could feel particular treads under the finger, but filing them to be straight solved that problem.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Banned

Bloody nice work mate

Hide this!Advertise here!