Signs your Firstwatt DIY is unstable? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2011, 02:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Signs your Firstwatt DIY is unstable?

I dont have a o-scope or this would quickly diposed of, so here goes: I have noticed recently that my DIY F-5 is running quite a bit warmer than it usually does. Typically, I wonder if it is hot enough, the large M&M sinks just getting good and warm, allowing you to touch as long as one would care to leave them on, but never really hot.

Recently, it has run considerably hotter, still can be touched for over 5 seconds, at around 9 seconds I start to wonder, then I can still leave hand on, albeit beginning to get uncomfortable.

The bias is sitting fine, only a few mV of offset. I know the ambient temp is a little warmer now than it was a month or so ago, but this amp went through last summer not nearly this hot.

I havent had any other indications of instability (the amp that is ), but dont really know what they are, other than overheating and bizarre sounds.
Only the heat issue concerns. Any comments would be welcome, I suppose getting the amp to someone with an o-scope would help.

Thanks in advance for any comment, searching didnt bring up what I was looking for, although I know I have read a few threads about this here.

Russellc
Old 11th April 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
RIP

Hi Russel,

I remember reading about using a small cap on the inputs to kill any RF signals from getting into the amp. The F5 has an outragously wide bandwidth and will happily amplify RF, causing overheating.

Best, Bill
Old 11th April 2011, 06:06 PM   #3
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Do You have a DMM? Put it on AC and look for a signal level at the output FETs Gate or Drain... If it's only DC your good the reading will be 0...
Old 11th April 2011, 07:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
Do You have a DMM? Put it on AC and look for a signal level at the output FETs Gate or Drain... If it's only DC your good the reading will be 0...
I do have a DMM. will try that tonight.

Russellc
Old 11th April 2011, 10:03 PM   #5
The one and only

If you are looking for oscillation, most DMM's will not read frequencies that
high at all.

Disconnect the speakers. If it stays at the same temp, then it's probably
fine. Remember that line voltage also comes into play with this.

Old 11th April 2011, 10:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
If you are looking for oscillation, most DMM's will not read frequencies that
high at all.

Disconnect the speakers. If it stays at the same temp, then it's probably
fine. Remember that line voltage also comes into play with this.

Thank you for your response. Does the amp stabilize when the speaker load is disconnected? How does line voltage affect this? Thanks for the info, I'm trying to understand this. ( I'm sure a scope would help) If the amp runs considerably cooler with speakers disconnected, what would my next step be?

Russellc
Old 12th April 2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

If the line voltage increases, so will the supply rail voltages to the amp, more voltage = more watts = more heat

The following test is crude and will not show anything below 1V.

To check if the amp is unstable, power off the amp, disconnect the speaker, connect one end of signal diode (1N4148 etc) to the speaker output, and the other end to a small polyester/polyprop cap, connect a DMM across the cap, power up the amp, connect the free end of the cap to speaker ground, If the DMM reads anything significant, you have instability. If you get a zero reading, try the test again with the diode reversed, then test again with the speaker connected.
Old 12th April 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input guys, I'm certain others have wondered about this as well.
I think my amp is fine, there was an almost 20 degree difference in ambient temp when the amp was getting hotter. Today was a little cooler and normal temps were experienced...this amp went through last summer and I just didnt remember it getting that hot. Just the nature of the beast, maybe I will build one of ZenMod's babysitter devices for this summer.

Russellc
Old 12th April 2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

in that case - we must discuss royalty issue ;

waste one beer for me , and we are even

Old 12th April 2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

anyway

there is a search I'm doing in last 24 hours , and just now I catch exact phrase - oscillation detector

good trick for greenhorns : NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on Ebay

Hide this!Advertise here!