Aleph 30 and Audio Physic Virgo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2011, 12:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 30 and Audio Physic Virgo

Does anyone have experience driving the Audio Physic Virgo with an Aleph 30 or similar? I am considering the purchase of a pair. I'm concerned that the Virgo's have a lowish sensitivity and an impedance that drops down to about 3 Ohms for much of the midrange. Seems less than an ideal match. I'll be using an active crossover and a separate subwoofer, so the ability to drive down to the lowest octave is not so important.
Old 16th March 2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Brian,

You can probably directly pm Joachim Gerhard (he has some active Threads here) since that is his loudspeaker design...he might even have tried an Aleph with it or know someone who did.
Old 16th March 2011, 03:49 AM   #3
Banned

What frequency range will the subwoofer cover?
Old 16th March 2011, 03:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are several evolutions of the Virgo on the market today. When it is the classical model Virgo 2 reviewed by Michael fremer in 1997 i can give advice. I was the designer.
From that time on i did not actively design any more for Audio Physic but i was still was a decission maker and CEO until i left the company at the end of 2004.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the responses Joachim and everybody. I appear to have missed my window of opportunity on this pair as they have been sold already. They were indeed the Virgo's as reviewed by Michael Fremer. They would have been crossed over to the sub at 80 Hz. Joachim, I'd still be interested in your opinion on their compatibility with the Aleph 30, in case I have an opportunity to buy another pair in the future.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 16th March 2011, 04:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

They are in use even with low wattage tube amplifiers. It depends how loud you want to play. I never heard an Aleph 30 with the Virgo only with the Medea. It sounded great though. Ok, the Virgo drops under 4Ohm. Still i think it should work well to decent levels.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's encouraging. Thank you for your input, Joachim.

Hide this!Advertise here!