Grounding My F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm in the middle of building my F5 and my thoughts are turning to grounding. For my stereo F5 I've built a separate power supply for each channel. This means that each channel has its own toroid, rectifiers, and capacitors. Can I ground each power supply to its own CL60 on the chassis or am I best to stick with the well known start grounding principle and bring both power supplies to a common CL60? The reason I'm asking is separate CL60's would probably lead to a neater layout.

Regards,
Dan :)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I built an F5 with CL-60s for each power supply. It's very quite.

Attachments

• F5build3.JPG
    F5build3.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 459
  • F5Testing1.JPG
    F5Testing1.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 449
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I built an F5 with CL-60s for each power supply. It's very quite.

I see the 4 (2 each) CL-60 with the transformer connections, but
What about the CL-60 that goes to ground, did you use one for each side, or just one for both grounds? If you used two, (One for each power supply) did they both go to the same ground point, or did each have their own ground point?

Russellc

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I used two, one CL-60 for each power supply (PS) ground. My logic was that if they shared a single CL-60, both PS circuits would be connected to ground before the CL-60.

You are correct. The pics shows thermistors before the transformers. There are 6 CL-60 total in that F5.

Vince

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I used two, one CL-60 for each power supply (PS) ground. My logic was that if they shared a single CL-60, both PS circuits would be connected to ground before the CL-60.

You are correct. The pics shows thermistors before the transformers. There are 6 CL-60 total in that F5.

Vince

Are the two separate Cl-60s grounded to the same place on the chassis or do you have two separate places? Just wondering, I have exactly the same setup and am getting ready to install my power cord connectors and the grounding CL'-60s and was wondering how they should be installed.

Thanks for the help here, much appreciated.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Look at F1 P/S has 2 CL60 to ground on the +/- 24v both channels to Ground...

Regards, El

That's not the CL-60 in question, the single one going to ground is. Question arose when suddenly members found two of the illustrations you speak of in their chassis. Now, the single CL-60 going to ground in the illustration of F-5's Power supply......now there are two, or not? Answer, two. Question 2, do they go to the same ground point? Answer, yes.

The two CL-60 going to the transformer primary leads are doubled in total number, as there are 2 power supplies, and two transformers. I dont think anone is questioning those two CL-60s.

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.