MagnumOpus & The B1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am starting this thread in order to perhaps get some help with my B1 build.
I have read alot, but feel I have barely touched the tip of the diy-iceberg. I have begun to understand a small bit of the subtle mecanics at force, but not nearly enough to make qualified desitions on my own. My efforts are all guesstimates at best. So I hope those of you with the answers I seek, take the wee time to answer every now and then. Perhaps I'll end up with something that actually works :)

I have ordered all the stuff I need for the pcb today, so I am basically waiting for xmas morning :)

I thought about modushop for the chassis, but in my ignorant haze of diy-fog, I totally forgot that I have a buddy who's a metallworker, and can order the aluminium from work, and make an enclosure per my instructions. So I have begun to look at a few designs for inspiration. It need to house both B1 and Lighter Note or Lightspeed + their psu's. If thats too much for my current design (74mm high - 290mm wide - 230mm deep on the inside)
Then I'll have to uscale or have an own box for the psu's.

I am thinking powder coated black, with 20mm wood panel on the sides. Perhaps som exotic wood, waxed and clear-coated. Dunno yet...
Also thinking of burning in a logo on the sidepanels. The options are plenty.

I thought about FPE, but since my friend can do most everything, perhaps I'll order a some press on letters or logo from somewhere. If anyone know of a place, let me have it :)

That's it for now. I'll come back with more when I have all the parts.

If you are thinking about a custom enclosure, you could make it big enough to hold a Pearl II or something similar for phono... But the other side of that coin is of course PSU, as you now need 3 different supplies

So in other words I would need three regulators and three toroids, three power entry modules and three power switches? I thought I could use one toroid with two or three regulators and and one softstart...

Anyway. Yes that's a thought. But I also like stuff seperate. I could sqeese in two psu for the b1 and attenuator in one side and the boards on the other.

How big would the enclosure have to be, to fit B1 & LN pcb and psu?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Mains in would only require one inlet and switch. You would want separate fuses, most likely.

I don't know the requirements for the lightspeed, you might be able to do it on the B1 supply...

The Pearl II uses a V+ V- supply, not single ended, so you would need 2 transformers to do the whole project.

And in a perfect world, the Pearl PSU is not in the same box as the circuit...

Ok, ignore what I was saying about one big box with everything in it! :D

I think I'll go with the B1 and Lighter note in one enclosure, with the psu's shielded somehow. Haven't decided on a phonostage yet. First the pre, then the power. Have to decide on power amp aswell...the F5 is *******' huge, and I like the idea of a nice system in matching enclosures. Been looking at Audiosector lately. Seems like a good choice.

If one wanted to do a combo like this, it can be done fairly easily.
The B1 is set to operate from 18-24V according to NPs own paper.
The Pearl-II runs off +/- 24V regulators, meaning a raw DC of aat least 28-30V before regulators. The Lightspeed can easily run off 24V, as it is only a matter of dropping the max voltage to the LEDs circuits by an appropriate regulator- we are talking of max 20mA per channel, according to specs......
If I were to go this route, it can very well be done with one dual output transformer. I'd use separate rectifiers, filter caps and reg's, though....or several reg's in series and separate cap's to develop the different voltages.....

Good luck with your project, Magnum......
whereabouts in old N are you ?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A chipamp could most certainly be built in an enclosure that matches the rest.

I particularly like the aesthetic of a bunch of identical boxed stacked to make a system... Linestage/selector in one, Phono in the next, PSU box, followed by a power amp or two... Neat, tidy, and attractive!

If one wanted to do a combo like this, it can be done fairly easily.
The B1 is set to operate from 18-24V according to NPs own paper.
The Pearl-II runs off +/- 24V regulators, meaning a raw DC of aat least 28-30V before regulators. The Lightspeed can easily run off 24V, as it is only a matter of dropping the max voltage to the LEDs circuits by an appropriate regulator- we are talking of max 20mA per channel, according to specs......
If I were to go this route, it can very well be done with one dual output transformer. I'd use separate rectifiers, filter caps and reg's, though....or several reg's in series and separate cap's to develop the different voltages.....

Good luck with your project, Magnum......
whereabouts in old N are you ?

Thank you. So it can be done with one toroid, then. nice. The phono stage will have it's own box regardless.

In any case, a matching box for the psu's for the whole system is an attractive notion. The B1/Lighter note on top of the phonostage, and the poweramp on top of the psu box for the whole shabam. The freakfactor in having a box with three power inlets appeals to me also. Would take some dineros and planning, but I would have a nice project going on for a while there. Wish I had some CAD skills....

I reside just outside of Trondheim.

A chipamp could most certainly be built in an enclosure that matches the rest.

I particularly like the aesthetic of a bunch of identical boxed stacked to make a system... Linestage/selector in one, Phono in the next, PSU box, followed by a power amp or two... Neat, tidy, and attractive!

Spot on! Now you've got me thinking about two power amps...this'll never end...

An idea is formed. I need a place to get labels for the system though. Perhaps a silkprint (or something) lettering on the topmost preamp, and logos/pictures on the rest of the faceplates with a discreet lettering identifying the unit underneath the picture....And do the same with the speakers when the time comes....

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you wanted to bear the expense of monoblocks, the F5 could be made rather small, if you could figure out the heatsinking... :)

A singleheatsink, rack-width by 2U (483x80mm) would be big enough... You could have the heatsink on the front, like a QUAD 405
images

Perhaps a silkprint (or something) lettering on the topmost preamp, and logos/pictures on the rest of the faceplates with a discreet lettering identifying the unit underneath the picture....And do the same with the speakers when the time comes....
Nevermind the labels - look at the olive-era Naim Audio equipment... you can't tell what most of the boxes are from the front. Cool!

Last edited:
In your application (a 'normal' B1) , where the pot will be buffered, the difference between a 20k and a 50k pot is negligible. Don't worry about it! :)

Allright. Thanks. Any suggestions for an input selector knob/switch?

I need 3 inputs. I mentioned also that it would be great with a sub/pre-out. That won't be needed for now anyway. I have decided on some floorstanders from Audio Nirvana and donæt have any more room on the floor for the sub yet. If I manage to make room, I'll just get or build an amp for it with high level in and out. There are plenty of options out there.

Instead of mucking about too much with the original design, I'll get a selector box for the additional inputs I need down the way. The Xbox and a HeadAmp. I wanna be able to switch between the B1 and headamp when playing records.

I really wanna try the lightspeed or the lighter note though, with the B1, so I have made room for both options in my enclosure. Meaning either one box for the B1 & LS boards, and one for the psu's, or just one plain and simple B1.

BTW 6L6, what does your B1 enclosure measure internally?

I received the caps for the Swans Xover also, but now that I am building an AN instead, I'll have to see if I can find use for them elsewhere...maybe I'll just build the xovers for practice....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.