F5 construction pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys.

I have ordered my F5 boards from CVILLER (v2.0) and a standard parts kit from TECHDIY. Thank you to both for great products delivered quickly to Aus.

I found some time ago a thread at AUDIOKARMA with step by step construction pics that I just cant find again...

Does anybody know this thread or have any pics that might be of help.

My electronics skills just aren't enough to inspire confidence without checking it against somebody else's.

I would appreciate any pics / links / advice and hope I haven't created a repeat thread. I just cant seem to find any pics of these particular boards populated with parts.

Cheers all.
Dean

Heres a few pics of parts I have installed so far and a blank board for reference.

I have a funny feeling I have the trip pots around the wrong way, that could be exciting>!

Dean

Attachments

• DSC01820.JPG
    DSC01820.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 557
  • DSC01822.JPG
    DSC01822.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 540
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Dean,

provided the centre pin on your trimpots is the wiper (and I think it would be very unusual for it not to be) it shouldn't matter which way around you install them :) which ever way is more asthetically pleasing to you should be fine ;)

The things you need to worry about getting the wrong way around are electrolytic caps, diodes and transistors!

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Dean, can't help with the F5 pics I'm afraid, but the trickyest thing I always find is the transistors. Working out which of the pins is emitter collector and base (or gate source drain in fets) is always an issue as they are rarely if ever marked on the packages.

Referring to the datasheet for the particular manufacturer of the devices you have is recommended (sometimes the same model transistor eg a bc548 may have different pin assignments depending on the package or manufacturer). For Bi-Polar transistors I allways check them by putting them into the hfe tester on my multimeter to ensure I know which pins are B C and E before inserting them into the board even when I've checked the datasheet! I guess the main reason for mentioning this is that pictures of an assembled board may not be the best guide as to component orientation as transistors can and do vary in the pinouts!

Tony.

provided the centre pin on your trimpots is the wiper (and I think it would be very unusual for it not to be) it shouldn't matter which way around you install them :) which ever way is more asthetically pleasing to you should be fine ;)
a three in line trim pot can be inserted either way around.

One will result in increasing resistance as the adjustment is advanced clockwise.

The other installation will result in the resistance decreasing as the adjustment is advanced clockwise.

The PCB traces will determine which option you want. I would make sure that all 4 trimpots are installed so that clockwise rotation makes the same resistance change. And stick a label inside the cover to remind you what clockwise does !

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I agree with Wintermute regarding the transistors and don't forget to set the trimpots to their lowest setting before powering up[ measure across R3 & 4 if I remember correctly] Use good quality isolation between output mosfets and your heatsink or do these come as part of Techdiy's kit.I printed of a copy of cvillers "Guide to F5pcb's if I can find the link I'll pas it on. Following AndrewT's guide for checking various stages using a light bulb tester is a good idea; saves you frying anything when switching on.When setting up the bias turn the trimpots half a turn going from P1 to P2 alternately.
Happy building you'll enjoy listening when its finished.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
your boards may be first version2 with one pair output, before the last one with double pair output
definately not oldest first version

I dont know if trim pot orientation will have different influence on adjustments
I would think that the paralel resistor would matter
according to manual, the trim pots are not 'symmetricly' mounted
schematic in original F5 manual will tell

but trim pots are assymetric, and print board allows only one direction, yes?
your pictures indicates you have them correctly oriented, both pointing in the same direction

you should still read and study F5 manual
print it out, and have it in front of you, always ready

boards look great btw

Nice one guys.

I think the audiokarma thread i was referring to was by a dude called 'guru' or something and he seemed to have the same boards. But as tony mentioned, perhaps pictures are not the best option. I'm thinking about getting a variac for the testing phase.....

I have just noticed when going to build my second board that TECHDIY has sent me some different parts in the second package.... I'll build what I can and report back.

They sent me the wrong R1-R2 - should be - 10R 3W
- got - 100J 1W

cheers
Dean

Great News...

Just received a message from John at TechDIY. Regarding a mix up at there end saying that he has sent the correct kit at his own cost. He has also said to keep the incorrect kit and enjoy.

TechDIY just got my vote for the:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CUSTOMER SERVICE OF THE YEAR AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to John and the crew for all the hard work.

Dean

Tech DIY will take care of you. The trim pots can be oriented either way. Your CViller boards look identical to the ones I have in hand, same markings. If you look at Christian's blog, he has two different population depictions, one using two devices per channel and the other, for four.
As others have said, reference data sheets for orientation of transistors, don't believe everything you read on the internet.;)

Good luck with your F5, I am about to start my second.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.