Mini-A PCB finished... Some questions on it ;) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mini-A PCB finished... Some questions on it ;)

Hi folks...

Finally finished my layout of Greys "Mini-A-Schematic". Didnt manage to make it one-sided The schematic can be found here in the forum.

Click the image to open in full size.

So... Are the trays thick enough? the "small" ones are 0,7 inch and the "big" ones are 1.5 inch.

Greetz...
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry... I mean traces, not trays
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:35 PM   #3
gruni is offline gruni  Germany
diyAudio Member

also, your traces arent .7 and 1.5 inch. that would be roughly 1.8 and 3.8 centimeters.
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Small signal traces don't need to be anywhere near that big. You can go smaller than shown for all traces except the ones carrying power in the output. Might even allow you to make it single sided, it you really need to. The feedback trace can be small, just the output trace needs to be anywhere near that big. Same for R18 to C2, etc.

Move R16 much closer to the Gate of Q5 - like R14 and Q4.

Try rearranging so the input differential can be back to back - good thermal contact promotes offset stability. BrianGT's board used a chunk of aluminum between teh devices but if you can get them connected (with an isolator and Isolated screws) it would be helpful.

I don't have Grey's schematic, but I'll bet that there was a cap bypassing D1. A 1 uf film cap would be good, but you can go with a 10 uf electrolytic.

Why the fish hooks around R20 and R21?

Verify that the pads for your resistors are big enough to pass a lead through and still have something to solder to.

Last edited by BobEllis; 22nd February 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 23rd February 2011, 03:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

@gruni: Youre right Im using Eagle. The traces are 0.07mil and 1.5mil.

@Bob: Done Have a look at it...

Click the image to open in full size.

Moved R16, added C4 for bypassing D1, reworked some traces to delete those fish hooks. Thermal contact will be established bay using a 3mm thick copper bar and good thermal greese (about 7.2W/m*K). Think that shall work
Old 23rd February 2011, 05:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You mean 70 mil and 150 mil or 0.070" and 0.150"

Looks better. I'm guessing that you plan to use the top of the board as a ground plane.

You have plenty of room if you want to make it a bit more compact. The feedback trace R21 to R8 should be 70 mil. Same with the trace R21 to C2.

I'm curious. Why did you choose to make R12 variable? Leave a pad to place a fixed resistor once you find a gain that works for you. It sets the active current gain. R11 sets bias. That's more often variable.

There's still a fish hook at R9 R11. No big deal, but you could run the trace from C2 diagonally to R10 then up.

Be sure that the holes and pads for resistors are large enough. Eagle defaults to some really small holes and very little pad around the hole. I've had troubles with resistor leads barely fitting, some brands have larger leads than the default holes. this means you'll end up editing your components, but you're in it to learn, right?

Another thing that would make the board interesting would be to add pads for external output devices so you can make a larger Aleph if you want later.
Old 23rd February 2011, 06:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Guess what... ^^

Ill drill the holes for the parts min. +1/10mm everytime. That saves some room for changes with parts. And yes im still learning

R12 is variable for setting DC-offset. Or am i wrong? Could bet ive seen this here around...

Ill first try this one as-is, experimenting around with some parts (capacitors, resistors and transistors from different manufacturers). When done testing and fooling around, ill maybe go on and make a design on an Aleph 30 (think this was the next "stage"). I dont pay anything for the PCBs. So if i mind to change something, ill make it^^

Luckily the postman delivered some "presents" for me 25xIRF9610, 10xIRFP150 and a handful BC550C. Everthing for free. Did i mentioned that im also able to become some parts as "samples"? ^^ Im in heaven for DIY XD
Old 23rd February 2011, 06:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

R11 is what you'd make variable for a little bit of offset control. R12 doesn't make a difference in offset.

We each make our own decisions about samples. I don't take them because I am not going to make a production item, just like I won't test drive a Ferrari as much as I would love to see what it feels like. For $100 or so I can get a decent selection of devices to match...
Old 23rd February 2011, 07:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

No^^

I mean i get some "samples" out of our stock We produce sensors and bus-systems for automation industries. All parts which i declare as "samples" are parts from running systems
Old 14th March 2011, 08:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well... Back again

First channel wired and what shall i say: It works^^ Runs @1A and gets hot (~50-60C). Think thats class a^^

Got some hum at the output... Very silent but it is there...

Hide this!Advertise here!