Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

25W Class A amp with Lateral MOSFETs
25W Class A amp with Lateral MOSFETs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2018, 02:04 PM   #161
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I don't do reviews any more. My marketing department has been fired...
Old 9th June 2018, 03:02 PM   #162
sarathssca is offline sarathssca  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Sorry, I don't do reviews any more. My marketing department has been fired...
Its not about review or compare both the amps .. just interested to understand about MP3 sounding good here
.. as most of my source material is in MP3 stuffs .. could you please tell about MP3 being sound nice ..

being a newbie sometimes it's difficult to relate with the adjectives used to describe the sound for example some say sounding warm , (warm relate with heat but not very clear to relate it with sound )
Old 9th June 2018, 04:52 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

I never wrote that MP3 can sound good - only tolerable, less obtrusive, etc...
You surely understand that we are in teritory of subjective interpretatios and generalisations so my judgments are just that and not the everybody's, absolute truth...
Old 10th June 2018, 03:26 PM   #164
woofertester is offline woofertester  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathssca View Post
Its not about review or compare both the amps .. just interested to understand about MP3 sounding good here
.. as most of my source material is in MP3 stuffs .. could you please tell about MP3 being sound nice ..

being a newbie sometimes it's difficult to relate with the adjectives used to describe the sound for example some say sounding warm , (warm relate with heat but not very clear to relate it with sound )

This question deserves its own thread.

Lossy CODER/DECODERs (CODECs) all have a "sound". How each person experiences that sound will likely be different.

I suggest that you record some live sound that is familiar to you (a voice of someone you know well) as an uncompressed WAV file and then compress that file with your CODEC of interest.

Play the uncompressed and compressed files in succession to hear the "sound" of that CODEC.

The earliest CODEC was LPC (Linear Predictive Coding) and that is the "sound" of the Cylon Warriors of the 1980s TV show "Batlestar Gallactica". Very monotone and metallic.

To me, the newer-than-LPC CODECs can sometimes sound like the voice being reproduced in inside of a flushing toilet. These CODECs are what is used in cell phones to make the data stream as compact as possible.

MP3 is just another CODEC. A variant of MP3 is used in the USA for over-the-air FM HD radio.
Old 11th June 2018, 03:54 AM   #165
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

I have 10P16 / 10N16 as well as BUZ901 / BUZ906 pairs. Which ones would do a better job in this amp?
Old 11th June 2018, 07:39 AM   #166
diyAudio Member

All Lateral MOSFETs of that power/size behave and sound almost the same.

I prefer TO-3P/TO264/TO247 over TO-3 (one hole against four).
Old 11th June 2018, 08:02 AM   #167
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
All Lateral MOSFETs of that power/size behave and sound almost the same.

I prefer TO-3P/TO264/TO247 over TO-3 (one hole against four).
Me too. I may have to look long and hard to get the flat-packs. It's just that I have a large number of TO3's from the same batch, and when I saw your excellent circuit diagram, I thought to put all those to good use.

Thanks for all your effort and for sharing, that's very nice of you.

Regards,
Nick
Old 11th June 2018, 08:11 AM   #168
diyAudio Member

Of course, use what you got.

Finally, it's just two MOSFETs per channel - easy task compared to other amps with 5 or more pairs in the output stage...

25W Class A amp with Lateral MOSFETsHide this!Advertise here!