F5X -- the EUVL Approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know what you mean, Patrick. My eyes turned 64 today--along with (groan) the rest of my body.

I just completed design and prototyping on a 35-gHz GaAs FET and SiC semiconductor pulsed-chirp radar using all SMT/SMD components....about 300 of them. Worst part was designing the eight-layer microstrip pcb (i.e., pcb traces as inductors, bi-directional couplers, filters, dispersive delay lines, etc) for that monster.....

So, I'm ready for the F5X challenge! I'm looking forward to it.....

My continued thanks to you and the gang.......
That's what I'd call a really extended top end :p

Introducing an extra thermal interface that is counter-productive to improved Thermal Conductivity.
You will find that thickness of copper and thickness of backplate and area of copper and area of backplate all interact with each other to leave a very complex 3d mapping of well performing ratios and atrociously performing ratios.

I'd suggest you would need to develop a mathematical model equally as complex to be sure you would actually improve the Dissipation Capability.
I would further take a guess that the assumptions taken to release that improved thermal Performance would make the "improved" heatsink almost impossible to manufacture

Last edited:
If you mean, bolting down the FETS with a metal bar rather than just screws through the hole in the tab, yes it has been demonstrated to provide the highest heat transfer, between the two methods.

If you meant useing metal to bridge two heatsinks together, I believe it will be less efficient and more expensive then just getting the right sink from the start.

I see lots of SMD on the reg PCB.
Do we have SMD on the amp PCB?
Do we have a list of these SMD components?
Should we organise a Group Buy of the SMD?

I am about to place an order with Rapid online, which I could hold back for a week or two if I am going to add in UK & European requests for SMD components.

What are 'SMD' components and Is there a group buy soon?

look at post320.
SMD are available from some suppliers in single quantities.
They are generally very much cheaper if you buy in 10s, 100s or better still in 1000s.
Group Buying if there are lot's of different value components could potentially save a lot of money. Postage costs to local destinations will be cheap since SMD are inherently small and light.

I bought a small stock when retailers were clearing out their non ROHS. Some others I bought 100 off (at full retail) even though the project only required 4 or 8 pieces of each value.

Last edited:
The testing team is doing a limited group buy for the components for the PCB protection and control board. There are 3 kits of components available, each one enough for one PCB. they will cost USD40 plus shipping which is better than 1/2 the price you would have to pay to buy these components outside a GB. First in best dressed. There will be a larger GB later. Parts have to come from 3 suppliers.

I am not. There are 6 boards being made internally, and frankly even if there are changes they will be a few small resistors/caps or layout, not the bulk of this. I do not see the reason not to buy 10 sets. There is little risk for these people, and frankly I will send out any pieces that change on the BOM to these people for free.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.