F5X -- the EUVL Approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> is there a reason for the low idss beyond the fact that NP mentioned 7.0 2sk170 ?

Of course. For such a simple circuit, nothing is there by chance.

You can use 10mA Idss, or even 14mA, if you want. The circuit will still work.
But a higher front-end bias will mean smaller values of JFET drain resistors, and therefore lower open-loop gain, or less negative feedback.

Patrick

> Can you comment on the expected changes regarding the Input JFET "Degeneration trick" or does the previously stated formula apply?

The degeneration still applies but you need to compare the Yfs value at that specific bias current, which you can either measure yourself (for both devices), or use the data sheet values.

Patrick

Joined 2006
Paid Member
> is there a reason for the low idss beyond the fact that NP mentioned 7.0 2sk170 ?

Of course. For such a simple circuit, nothing is there by chance.

You can use 10mA Idss, or even 14mA, if you want. The circuit will still work.
But a higher front-end bias will mean smaller values of JFET drain resistors, and therefore lower open-loop gain, or less negative feedback.

Patrick

These are very difficult to source, the 2sj74s i mean, i got some from AMB labs but they all have IDSS in the high 10mA range.
The matched sets from Spencer are in the same range.

2SK170BL in the 6mA and 7 mA range are easier to find.

Last edited:
This will serve as a guide line.
The Yfs values were taken from data sheet, so not 100% reliable.

Patrick

Attachments

• F5 Frontend Bias.png
    F5 Frontend Bias.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,633
These are very difficult to source, the 2sj74s i mean, i got some from AMB labs but they all have IDSS in the high 10mA range.
The matched sets from Spencer are in the same range.

2SK170BL in the 6mA and 7 mA range are easier to find.

I am very sympathetic to anyone doing a balanced build.

I have a large number of match JFETS in EVERY Idss range, even sets already matched for the degeneration difference. I did this for my builds.

Let my know by PM if you need a set of matched Octets, or if you would like two matched Quads.

I used an Octet, and have sent other Octets to other builders, but they are a much more difficult match, as you might imagine.

I have a (150) 2SK170-BL's, and I've matched 50 of them. So far I have been getting a nice range of values with most of them in the 6-9mA range. Hopefully the remaining 100 jfets are nicely distributed as well. Once I get the remaing jfets matched, I can probably help out a few people as well.

Updated Case Parts Photos

We got the prototype case parts back after some revisions and re-finishing.

We shall post them part by part today.
Assembled later in the week.

Starting with the front panel.

Patrick

Attachments

• 110524 Front Panel.jpg
    110524 Front Panel.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,279
  • 110524 Front Rear.jpg
    110524 Front Rear.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 1,249
Last edited:
Followed by the cradle, transformer feet, regulator heat sink & PCB, and associated parts.

The plates joining the heat sink will get a much better looking (in design) revision later.
The heat sinks will get re-anodised (to all black).

And the O-Rings will get white silicone.

Attachments

• 110524 Cradle.jpg
    110524 Cradle.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 1,247
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.