F5X -- the EUVL Approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One more press of the push button will turn it to the operating state, with all relays on (to release input - red LED bottom right, connect output - red LED right lower). The operating state is indicated by the blue LED.

Another push of the push button will return it to start-up state.

Later on, the red/blue LED on the front panel will be replace by one bi-colour LED.

Also in the new PCB layout, the user has the choice to connect whichever relay to whichever operating state freely by jumpers.

The output DC protection (trigger at 2V, any of the two channels) is of course also tested functional.
But since it turns everything off, there is no picture to show.

;)

Patrick

Attachments

• DSC00195.JPG
    DSC00195.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 2,233
Last edited:
Oh, BTW, all normal 5V logic.
No uP's, no MHz oscillators, etc.

The original DC detection circuit used 2SJ109's.
(This circuit has been around for 5 years now.)
I thought it would be a bit extravagant these days, so I changed them to BC560C's.

;)

Patrick

wise choice haha j109 for protection only is indeed extravagant, i have maybe 20 x j109 sitting here for special occasions, but i have a large bag of each 550 and 560 ready to throw at anything that moves. all looks and appears to work great Patrick. good work team!!

Last edited:
> wise choice haha j109 for protection only is indeed extravagant

If you curve trace all your 109s, you will find about 30% to be not very well matched. (see attached)
Still in spec (3% Idss), bit otherwise poor match.
And only another 30% is matched to say 0.5% over range.

So the rejects go to protection boards.
But it's only for people who has 100's, like Jacco. ;)

> good work team!

This is just a quick & dirty test board from me to keep Mark going on the proto while waiting for Alexis' much more professional layout.

Patrick

Attachments

• 2SK389.png
    2SK389.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 2,065
Last edited:
Another short update.
I did not feel like posting over the weekend, as I have friends in Japan.

We paid for the GB MOSFETs at least 2 weeks ago, and are still waiting for Zhoufang to have time to ship.
I just sent him a PM over the weekend. No replies as yet, but he is busy these days AFAIK.

We also have all the parts of the case. They fit together without problems.
After the forum has confirmed how (if) they want to be involved, we shall post some first pictures.

The PCB guys are still busy, so no progress that I can report there, as yet.

I can only ask for your patience,
Patrick

it has come to my attention that my post above if taken seriously could be taken the wrong way. my post

was more me thumbing my nose at the sometimes deserving attitude that seems to be going around lately. it was not meant to be taken seriously thus the smiley, as i know others like myself have their own lives they must get on with. so Dave if you read it like this my apologies, i was not being serious, but i guess its still a bit raw for some people at the moment.

all sorted thanks to pchw anyway, so as you were :cheers:

Hi qusp,

No offence taken at all. My apologies for not responding.

Personal reasons have taken me away for a while but I am back finishing the final touches to the layout and look forward to everyone's involvement.

Hi qusp,
I too have not heard from fitzfish.

Hi alazria,

Likewise my apologies for not responding. I hope all of your questions have been answered.

Best regards,
Dave

My apologies for not posting an update earlier.

F5X Case :

The reason for the delay is partly that I have been waiting for response from the Forum (Variac and Jason) on how to handle the purchase of the case. Since we have an agreement not to post any pictures before that is sorted, my hands are a bit tied. My last email to them was about 2 weeks ago, and I sent the same again last weekend. Both emails have not been read, so I am still waiting for a response.

I can perhaps mention a few things about the case. A much respected member of the forum and a DIYer of over 30 years had seen the picture of the case, and his remark was :

"It is impressive! It radiates an air of power and competence, a minimalistic design. I love it!"

There were no design errors, but we have sent a few parts back for changes to further refine the design. The PCBs will be in Mark's hands in the next few days, and the transformers have also arrived. So Mark will have a busy Easter to put everything together for further photos, so that you get to see the entire layout inside the case as well.

Because Mark's business has been extremely busy, and organising this case is a lot of work, we can only support one batch of 25 cases this year. How we allocate them so that each continent will have a fair proportion (so that no one is disadvantaged in subscribing because of their time zone) is one of the details we have yet to work out. Whether we have time and energy to support further batches in 2012 and beyond remains to be seen.

PCBs :

I have not been able to contact ashaw since he had a computer problem. Alexis, if you are still there, please get in touch. In the worst, worst case, Alexis's work on the Control & Protection PCB can be covered by my own effort as posted in post 59, so that you will still be able to build as proposed.

The main amplifier PCB, regulators and cap boards are all finished, again waiting for the forum (Variac) to review and prototype. The latter two are only useable if you follow my layout 100%. I was told that fitzfish would be working on a more generalised Rectifier-CRC PCB for those who do not want to follow my layout.

2SK3497/2SJ618 GB :

The MOSFETs arrived in the UK on 25 March, but Andrew was not home to receive them. Since then there is apparently some problem getting it re-delivered. I'd rather let Andrew explain before I say something wrong. Both Andrew and ZhouFang are tracking from the sending and the receiving end, and the packet is insured. So I think it will be a matter of delay. Just one of these things.

MPC74 Fukushima resistors :

I have received a very generous offer to organise some MPC74 0R22 in JP and bring them to the US for later Group Buys. As you are aware, the company is in Fukushima, where they have more desperate things to to worry about than audio resistors right now. So we thought we should secure supply now, just in case. It would help if we can estimate the extent of interests. Please try to help me by organising a new thread to indicate interests for potential GB.

I think I have more or less covered everything, for now. Hopefully we shall have some response from the forum before too long, so that we can move forward.

Wishing you all a nice weekend,
Patrick

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Patrick.

In regards to the smaller than initially though batch of 25 cases, I do want this to be spread fair as well as anyone.

I would just like to state as I’m sure you’re aware, a number of us were very excited from the very beginning about a proposed case. With that in mind I know of few of us have already started to purchase components with an EUVL case being firmly in mind.

After this Post #140 from the original thread there are several firm supporters...

Let's do a poll perhaps ......

How many of you would like a gorgeous looking enclosure (more comparable to PL than to FW in terms of design sophistication) ?
And how much are you prepared to pay ?
(Do bear in mind that 50 other guys would have the same design as you ....)

To give an example, the Origen H6 HTPC Enclosure which has 8mm AL front plate and rest thin sheet metal is selling for something like 250 to 300 Euros.
Looks gorgeous, but does not weigh 15kg. And sheet metal stamping rather than CNC machining.

Patrick

Patrick, I just wanted to bring this into light with with the intention that all fairness is firmly upheld. I may be completely out of line, I don’t know...

John,

From the response I had so far, I do not believe that we shall have subscription for all 50 as initially suggested. So 25 is a good number and I think manageable for us. Also we could not have predicted business conditions in 6 months' time. And I am aware who are the ones giving me support right from the start and consistently throughout.

If the response is really so great, then we shall try to stretch as much as you can to accommodate all. The PCBs are not limited at all, only the case. In any case, we have to wait for the forum's response.

Patrick

> I created a GB thread to help tracking the case interests

You guys are really very impatient. You haven't even seem a photo yet.

> any idea on a price for the case yet?

The price is to be set by the seller, which will be the forum in this case.
But yes, we know the costs. Unfortunately, till everything is agreed, we promised not to disclose anything.

The "vague estimate" is not far off. It will not be HiFi 2000 prices. But then it is not a collection of punched sheet metal parts either.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.