F5X -- the EUVL Approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It’s so minimalistic, maybe too sparse then again maybe not, it’s certainly elegantly understated, all of which doesn’t really surprise me from what little I know of Patricks taste.
It’s an absolute triumph, I had no doubt that this case was going to be very tastefully designed, my expectations have been blown away.

> I noticed that there's no rca connection and the power socket is not of the normal 3-pin type.

If you have read all my posts about the balanced F5X, then you should know that a balanced input is a must. Hence no RCA.

The normal IEC 3-pin connector is too large to fit. The one shown here is Neutrik PowerCon. Widely available and typical Swiss quality.

Patrick

Last edited:
Great work Patrick. I am definitely impressed!

I love the modularity of the case, and the ability to assemble and test large portions of the amplifier with ease. Being an engineer who deals with vibrational issues in buildings, I really like your vibration damping scheme for the transformers. Overall, its a extremely well thought out and visually clean looking design. Only thing its missing is some sort of cool F5X logo... =)

nice work Patrick, i wonder, would it be possible to buy without the heatsinks? this will add considerably to the international shipping cost and i can just get them locally. without them i'm sure it could be shipped flatpack. i actually already have some, although i suppose getting them machined for the fixtures ,would eat that up. just feels wrong getting them shipped all the way over there and then back again.

i really like the detail of the underside from an engineering point of view and its a pity only i'll know its there. so the rear will or can be shipped blank? i wont be using any of those connectors except for the powercon.

Last edited:
The SumR toroidal transformers mounted on the cradle with feet directly underneath.
Imagine a 3mm thin bottom plate instead.

:)

Patrick

Attachments

• F5 Cradle T'former 2.jpg
    F5 Cradle T'former 2.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 1,699
We have now put together a team to organise the GB for the case and main heat sinks.
The GB leader will be johnwmclean.
Details are still being worked out as to who does what, etc.
We shall announce details, including price and options, towards end of the week.

We also have 2 volunteers to match the 1000 MPC74 resistors.
Again a team will organise the GB. The leader will be Horio.
We are looking for 3 additional volunteers to act as regional distributors, one for North America, one for Europe, one for Asia / Australia / ....

For simplicity, resistors will only be available in sets of 8, matched to well below 1%, most probably 0.2%.
(which will be limited by the Fluke multimeters used for matching).
We shall charge 8USD per set of 8 matched resistors (so 1USD per resistor), and donate all "profits" to the Fukushima Earth Quake victims.

My most sincere thanks to Horio and flg for volunteering to do the donkey work.
Matching 500 resistors and sorting them into sets is really hard work.

Anyone would like to help out with distribution of the resistors (and collect money, addresses, .... quite a bit of work involved) ?

Patrick

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.