Aleph 5 ... too flat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On my A3 I have jumper on the board to swich the feedback off.
I recommend you to give a try. The difference can be easily heared. You=ll have classical single ended amp. On my oppinion it sounds better and more clear. On the other hand it looses on the low frequencies. I strongly advice to put instead of this feedback resistor the trimpot and set the distorsion on as low as possible value. My values differs to the one stated in the whitepaper. By cutting the value down you get higher output power ( and control of bass) but distorsion on hights rises. It is give and take.

Not to switch the feedback of. Every true balanced input amp can be converted to Single Ended input by connecting the (-) input to ground and using (+) input as single ended input. This is very different from switching the feedback off :( . In fact the way I have described hereabove is the only way how to get quality single ended input from balanced input.

PMA: Misunderstatement. I dont mean swich the global feedback off. I canceled only the modulation of the current source - Passœ patent of dynamic regulation of the bias.
All: There is one thing I admire on the Aleph. You can tweak and modify it for long time. Change of one part changes function of the others.

Koy said:
I recommend you to give a try. The difference can be easily heared. You=ll have classical single ended amp. On my oppinion it sounds better and more clear. On the other hand it looses on the low frequencies. I strongly advice to put instead of this feedback resistor the trimpot and set the distorsion on as low as possible value. My values differs to the one stated in the whitepaper. By cutting the value down you get higher output power ( and control of bass) but distorsion on hights rises. It is give and take.

I think we all knows (except for the newbies) what feedback we are talking about. I don't know what it should be called technically, but I think it is also a current feedback as it takes signal from the output and route it to the current source.

When I tweaked my Aleph3 for a better sound, I came up with this idea, and that's the end of my everlasting tweaking effort! I had never read such tweak here in this forum when I applied this. But later some fellows report positive results (including Koy) so I have to say that the result is really beautifull. I know it is difficult for newbies to differentiate sounds after sounds. All seems different and it becomes prefference. But to me, this true single ended Aleph is the most beautiful sounding amplifier I have ever heard (You don't know what I have heard I know ;))

About this, as long as I can remember, Mr. Pass himself stated that with the tweak Aleph will fall into regular SE like Zen. IMO, the concept may be the same, but the circuit is different and so is the sound (At least my ears are not as bad as my electronics knowledge)

Koy was right that it looses the low frequencies, but to me, the most important drawback is the reduction in power. I have tried to add pre-amp to boost the power output but the price couldn't be justified (distortion). At least if I have to I can use sensitive speakers!

Actually it ought to sound really nice. Probably the best thing to do is remove the bias resistor completely so it goes wide open(so to speak). It will run hotter but sound its best. I've listened to my 2's both balanced and unbalanced and although balanced is a bit better its not miles better. I'm running an Aleph L and the pair of 2's most of the time unbalanced and the soundstaging and other stuff is incredible. Perhaps your musical fidelity is where the problem lays. Ya also need a preamp thats up to allowing the 5 to reveal all its capable of.
Mark

Koy said:

Do we have another hint to biamping? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.