deepness of outputstages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes you are right the title is not very clear......;)

And interesting to hear that the deepness and localization of sound is one element that is occupying your mind......

What is the reason that you are choosing in your XA- series so many paralleled
devices?:confused:

I have a question that I am sure someone can answer. Why do you P-channel devices always (well at least it seems that way) have higher levels of input capacitance to their N-channel complement.

The real answer is that to produce "matching" (complementry) FETs with the same RDSon, the P-channel device is 2.5 to 3 times bigger than the N-channel device. Bigger silicon area......... More gate capacitance.
Finally, a question I can answer!

Rds is dependent on the Current Ids which is given by equation

Ids = (uCi/2) (W/L) (Vgs - Vth) (Vgs-Vth)

u is the electron mobility.

Mobility of n-type carriers (electrons) is ~ 2x mobility of p-type carriers (holes).

To match a P-channel Ids to a N-channel Ids, the input capacitance of the P-channel must be ~ 2x the input capacitance of the N-channel.

Not really "bad dope during doping process"

Joined 2009
Paid Member
:) I looked at Bob Cordells book for the deepness of outputstage...

I found only one sentence to give more information than you all did....

"A greater number of output transistors relaxes thermal concerns,
improves thermal stability, and makes the amplifier performance less vulnerable
to beta droop effects."

what are beta drop effects? Here comes the answer...from Bob Cordell:

"Beta Droop
The current gain of power transistors tends to fall off rapidly above a certain collector
current. This is called beta droop. While a power transistor might have a beta of 80 at
1 A, the beta might fall to 20 or less at a collector current of 10 A. This makes it much
harder for the amplifier to deliver high current to the load. This can also endanger the
driver transistor because it will be asked to supply very high base current to the output
transistor.":):):):)

May be this is one of the reasons why Nelson uses so many stages even in XA30.5...:D:D:D:D

:) "Beta Droop
The current gain of power transistors tends to fall off rapidly above a certain collector
current. This is called beta droop. While a power transistor might have a beta of 80 at
1 A, the beta might fall to 20 or less at a collector current of 10 A. This makes it much
harder for the amplifier to deliver high current to the load. This can also endanger the
driver transistor because it will be asked to supply very high base current to the output
transistor.":):):):)

May be this is one of the reasons why Nelson uses so many stages even in XA30.5...:D:D:D:D
Beta Droop is a BJT transfer curve function and is not quite the same with MOSFETs :D

When Bob says Beta Droop. I am almost certain he is referring to transconductance droop at the crossover point for an under biased mosfet outptut stage

Unlike us, I think Bob's philosophy is to bias as low as possible while still maintaining good THD through the use of error correction.
We are at the other extreme - bias the hell out of it and make the amp as linear as possible so you don't need to use error correction in the first place. That is how I see it anyway - known as the KISS principle.

Last edited:
I agree with that.
The absolute minimum beta/transconductance droop occurs at the crossover point for an under biased mosfet output stage.

Edit: Actually I think I disagree. Not disagree with your statement regarding bipolars, but what he is referring to with mosfets.

Last edited:
Here is what I started doing at 1am in the morning. It is a crap diagram, but I think this is what Bob is referring to.

Attachments

• crap diagram.png
    crap diagram.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 137
Joined 2009
Paid Member
thanks flg for your hint....:):):):)
I found your post from 2008

Being not unlike other DIYer's, I also did the same sims with a 20V Pk output. Note, that we are now entering Class AB territory.
The 4 pair circuit measures .092% THD @1kHz. The Gate current for each N FET measures about 30uA (Pk) and the Ps about 28uA.
The single pair circuit measures .165% THD @1kHz (including 2nd, 3rd, a little 4th, 5th and 7th). It's gate current is about 32uA into the N and P gates.
More questions???

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/129040-mosfet-output-stage-capacitance.html#post1599135 look for post #5 from flg

it seems that an output stage with a greater deepness works better in Class AB than a single or less devices.

Seems Nelson compensates leaving earlier class A than with the Aleph series in this way....

but I know with my small knowledge it is a keen statement.....:D

and maybe Andrew wanted to say me the same.....:):):)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.