F5 Heat sinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i'm preparing to build a stereo F5, and i'm going to need some heat sinks!
While i found some at Heatsinks USA, it seems like an awful lot to ship. While i'm here in the states, i'm hoping to find something within the US, That isn't going to be an arm and a leg to get home, but i need something sufficient to cool this amp. After some reading it definitely seems like it runs hot.

It also might be vital to inform that i'm in hopes of being able to rack mount it.. And after doing reading, i would find a way to do a forced convection, within the rack, to move air across the heat sinks so that it isn't to overheat, while powering the fans by themselves, and not off the power supply of the amp. That being said, i'm in hopes of keeping it 7 inches tall, but if thats not possible i can work around that. And length from front to back i believe is only limited to 20"? and fin height again, should only have a limitation big enough that i shouldnt need it. hopefully only 3" total height from Fin tip to the back of the base, I need to make sure i have room between the 17" between the rack rails to put my transformer and power supply pieces in!

In advance i want to thank anyone that has any information for me
-Cody

So i'm preparing to build a stereo F5, and i'm going to need some heat sinks!
While i found some at Heatsinks USA, it seems like an awful lot to ship. While i'm here in the states, i'm hoping to find something within the US, That isn't going to be an arm and a leg to get home, but i need something sufficient to cool this amp. After some reading it definitely seems like it runs hot.

-Cody

I think Heatsink USA is very reasonable. At least they were in October. I paid $113 including shipping for two 12" pieces of the 10" profile which I thought was a super deal. The stuff is heavy. Shipping costs are expensive these days. Good luck finding a better than that.

BTW you're gonna need about 10 inches of the 10" profile heatsink per channel to passively cool the F5.

Yeah, I was looking at 7 inches of the 10.08 inch profile, and it was going to be 88 to ship home. And its at least better to know I didn't just hit a dead end. I was also looking at one of the cases par metal has, for 165 they have an all aluminum case with hdatsinks. I think they're only 5.25 tall, but 17 long. Would this be up to standards to work for an F5?

You should read the F5 manual. It says a 6X8 piece of heatsink with 2" fins per output device. That's 96 sq in per channel. Any less will probably risk running too hot. A 5 x 17 shape doesn't seem to be optimal for the F5 since the outputs would have to be too far apart to cool.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
200 x 300mm each channel will do
or 150 x 400mm
some use a 165 x 300mm (Modushop)

but how hot it gets might depend on your build
your room temperature during summer time
things like how well you ventilate the inside of your amp
and transistor isolating pads, how effective they are
mounting, smoothness of heatsink surface
and, bias is a variable too
also your actual supply voltage
and toss it all together in one pot, and ....

An 8" section of the Heat Sink USA is 80"sq. 20% short of the 96"sq N.P. suggests in the F5 manual. The Heat Sink USA unit has 2.5" fins (depending on how you measure the fins? Could be 2.875"). 25%(or more) longer than the ones suggested by N.P.. That should about make up the difference of the 20% smaller area?
A question was asked regarding a thicker base spreading heat better to fins further away. Yes, it will and that will be an efficiency benifit. I beleive the Heat Sink USA base is .375".
Maybe I'll feel like rigging up a test set-up for a Heat Sink USA section and measure it tonight?

200 x 300mm each channel will do
or 150 x 400mm
some use a 165 x 300mm (Modushop)

but how hot it gets might depend on your build
your room temperature during summer time
things like how well you ventilate the inside of your amp
and transistor isolating pads, how effective they are
mounting, smoothness of heatsink surface
and, bias is a variable too
also your actual supply voltage
and toss it all together in one pot, and ....

well fortunately, my room has an air conditioner in it in the summer! Transistor isolation pads, i don't know much about. I'm basically brand new to the whole electronics thing, i was introduced to Hifi last summer, and have been interested ever since, so i don't know what exactly isolating pads are. and if the heat sink surface needs to be smooth where the output device is mounted, that is not a problem, if i cant polish the aluminum, i know somebody who can. if it needs to be the other way, i dont know what to do. ventillation internally i haven't considered yet, which i'm glad you brought it up. if i make vent holes on top and bottom of the case, would that be sufficient ventillation? another thing i've been thinking, if you were to run a very small fan, with little current draw, prior to the power supply in any point, would you reduce the noise present since its before the power supply?

And thanks again everybody, for your information on the subject. like i said prior, i'm brand new to the electronics world, so i'm very short on knowledge. and i'm hoping to be able to retain everything you guys know, cause there seems to be a lot of information!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
like i said prior, i'm brand new to the electronics world, so i'm very short on knowledge.
and i'm hoping to be able to retain everything you guys know, cause there seems to be a lot of information!

maybe we should ask Nelson:cool: for a low power "trainee" design :rolleyes:
similar to F5
maybe 5watt or so
with TO-220
ordinary cheap components
cheap heatsinks
etc

but it would probably turn into a balanced monster, sooner or later :D

maybe we should ask Nelson:cool: for a low power "trainee" design :rolleyes:

sorry but that was completely uncalled for in my opinion .

no i'm not an expert . i'm a beginner . my only other build was a peter daniels gainclone and it sounds wonderful .

and YES i've read "THE " thread once from start to finish (took 2 1/2 weeks and 6 pages of notes) and several other times major parts .

sorry but your condescending remark is uncalled for by a even a member let alone you a moderater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.