Active crossover suggestion with F5 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2011, 01:43 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
I am using miniDSP with F5, and the DSP deteriorates quality a lot (IMO). With a cheap active crossover from my car I can't localize speakers, with miniDSP I can. I am not saying miniDSP is bad, it's still a very good product, but not a good match for F5.

I have no experience with DCX, but probably going full analog after your source is better for F5.

I've seen a comparison of miniDSP to DCX claiming miniDSP being at par or better than DCX.

anilva, did you try using your Behringer Digital Xover to figure out xover points and slopes, and then replicate with analog circuit?
I should probably clarify my position. I am recommending that there is only one D-to-A conversion and this would be done by the Behringer or whatever. Feed it a digital signal (either S/PDIF or AES/EBU).

Wait ... this means no analog sources. Yes .... I am afraid so.
Old 15th February 2011, 01:53 AM   #12
michal is offline michal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithTarragon View Post
I should probably clarify my position. I am recommending that there is only one D-to-A conversion and this would be done by the Behringer or whatever. Feed it a digital signal (either S/PDIF or AES/EBU)
For sure. Minimizing number of DACs before F5 is the way to go. F5 brings out a lot of detail, and multiple DACs will lose some of it.

WithTarragon, what is the weak link in the system that you are referring to in your other post?
Old 15th February 2011, 01:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Considering the B5 is in the same family as the B1 and an RC network is as minimalist as you can make a filter, I'd be surprised if the basic crossover functions in the B5 are much more than that. The shelving and EQ are probably built on a JFET gain stage. That's the way I'd go to make it as "Papa like" as possible.

Jan Didden made a nice output stage and volume control for the Behringer. http://www.linearaudio.nl/6chan-1.htm if you want to go that route.
Old 15th February 2011, 02:57 AM   #14
anilva is offline anilva  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEllis View Post
Considering the B5 is in the same family as the B1 and an RC network is as minimalist as you can make a filter, I'd be surprised if the basic crossover functions in the B5 are much more than that. The shelving and EQ are probably built on a JFET gain stage. That's the way I'd go to make it as "Papa like" as possible.

Jan Didden made a nice output stage and volume control for the Behringer. http://www.linearaudio.nl/6chan-1.htm if you want to go that route.
Thanks. I will probably start with a passive RC in front of a B1. My knowledge in electronics is basic and cannot design/tweak beyond basic levels. The Behringer mod seems too complex for me. I thought Papa mentioned somewhere that he is going to reveal some inside details of B5. Any news?
Old 15th February 2011, 01:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
For sure. Minimizing number of DACs before F5 is the way to go. F5 brings out a lot of detail, and multiple DACs will lose some of it.

WithTarragon, what is the weak link in the system that you are referring to in your other post?
Sure, the weak link in the Behringer DCX (or the DEQ) is the analog out section (right after the DAC). Replace it with something better. There are many threads on the topic and a real range of price points.
Old 15th February 2011, 02:53 PM   #16
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Metric Halo ULN-8 is probably one of the best options for a digital crossover. They use 80 bit processing and have great analog output circuitry. Fairly expensive but has many uses including 8 channel ADC and DAC.
Old 15th February 2011, 05:15 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Metric Halo's LIO-8 is a bit cheaper if you don't need the microphone preamps. Still, at $3K plus another $600 for their DSP/crossover software it's rather $pendy. At my age, I don't think I can tell the difference between 96 Khz and 192 Khz sampling rates.
Old 15th February 2011, 05:21 PM   #18
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

From what I've heard the Metric Halo is in another league. I imagine you'd hear the difference between harsh sounding digital and the microphone feed.
Old 15th February 2011, 05:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The LIO-8 has 8 high quality 24/192 analog inputs, so it could be used for analog as well as digital sources. It just lacks the microphone preamps found in the ULN-8. For a non recordist, a microphone preamp is useful for measurements, but I wouldn't want to pay $1500 more for the same unit with 8 mic preamps.

I mentioned whether I'd hear a difference between 24/96 and 24/192 only as an indicator that many "lesser" interfaces might be totally acceptable. My M-Audio FW410 gives me 24/192 on one set of outputs and 24/96 on the rest along with a pair of mic preamps for $250. I think I can hear a difference playing the same track at 24/96 vs forcing it to 16/44.1, but it's not a lot. Sometimes I think I hear a difference at 24/192, but not consistently enough to believe it. The mic preamps on the FW410 are a little noisy, but usable for measurement (about 60 db S/N if I turn the gain down a bit). As always YMMV.

Whether the Metric Halo is worth the money is a moot point for me anyway since I don't have $3K to spend on an audio interface, even if I did think I'd hear the difference.
Old 15th February 2011, 05:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

JFET Active Crossover

Hide this!Advertise here!