Another noob B1 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What was the range? 1ohm to 1meg ohm, 0-300 or so volts AC and 0-600 volts DC should be in any meter. Cheap meters do not auto-range, so what looks like 200v DC on the dial will actually be 200-600v

My cheapest meter, about $10USD has the range I mentioned above.

ranges from 199.9mVdc to 500Vdc
and from 199.9Vac to 300Vac are very useful.
An accuracy on the best range (probably 1999mVdc) of better than +-1% would help.

An ohmmeter reading from 199r9 ranging upto 19.99M is also useful.
Don't bother with any of the other add ons seen in many multimeters, unless they are throwing them in for nothing.
$5 to $10 should buy the above spec.

Last edited:
I read on local forums that a few guys doesn't like the B1 because it has no gain. I was thinking, if I find it to lack gain, would it be difficult to add a tube gainstage for instance? either in the same box or in a standalone enclosure. The Decware tubegain-kit perhaps?

Also, I read alot about the Lightspeed attenuator, and it seems like an easy build even for a noob, so is it difficult to use this instead of a regular pot with the B1?

The B1 is a buffer.
It's main purpose is to help an inadequate Source drive the cables to the Receiver.
To do this the buffer must be located at the beginning of the cable, not at the end and not in the middle. The buffer should preferably be inside the Source equipment.

If the Source is designed to drive the cables to the next stage then one does not need an extra buffer.

I read on local forums that a few guys doesn't like the B1 because it has no gain.
I think you are miss quoting the views of the Members.

If their systems need extra gain then their viewpoint is that the B1 (buffer) does not suit their needs. Nothing to do with like or dislike.

There may be some Members who dislike the B1 as a buffer and their viewpoint has nothing to do with the buffer's lack of gain (actually gain ~+0dB). It is simply they do not like the sound that comes out of the B1.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The other questions you should know the answer to are these -

What is the output of your sources?

What is the input sensitivity if your amp?

How much power do your speakers require at your normal listening levels?

The entire point of the B1 is that in the last 20 years or so, the amount of output from sources has increased in leaps and bounds. So a 'preamp' doesn't need to actually amplify the source anywhere near as much as it did when sources had lower output. As Nelson says in his article, why throw away most of your source's signal, just to amplify it back up?

Don't worry about the 'sound' of the B1. You will like it. :) And remember, audiophiles will argue/complain/rant about the sound of anything/everything. It's what they do.

The other questions you should know the answer to are these -

What is the output of your sources?

What is the input sensitivity if your amp?

How much power do your speakers require at your normal listening levels?

The entire point of the B1 is that in the last 20 years or so, the amount of output from sources has increased in leaps and bounds. So a 'preamp' doesn't need to actually amplify the source anywhere near as much as it did when sources had lower output. As Nelson says in his article, why throw away most of your source's signal, just to amplify it back up?

Don't worry about the 'sound' of the B1. You will like it. :) And remember, audiophiles will argue/complain/rant about the sound of anything/everything. It's what they do.

Agreed. There's a fine line between audiophile and audiophool :)
I'm sure I'll like the sound. I have also decided to go for the F5 instead of either a Hypex or Ska, and have started to make a BOM for it aswell.
Most of the parts seem available, except for PSU PCB. I have seen one from Jim's Audio on ebay, but I'm not sure if its for the F5, and the kits from techdiy seem ok.

The speakers I am using is a pair of Dali 2002 and they are driven beyond my normal listening levels by a 25watt Fatman iTube, so the F5 is more than plenty for those. I plan to build a pair of Swans M1 also, and I beleive it's gonna drive them just fine. I am too old for Cerwin Vega levels anyway :)

I have ordered parts from digikey, partsconnexion and pcb from passlabs today, so now I'll just have to get a new soldering iron and som decent solder and hookup wire, and I'm in business.

I will start a thread and a blog for my builds, so I this thread ends here :) Thank you very mych for all advice and feedback thus far! Your a great bunch of geeks :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I will start a thread and a blog for my builds, so I this thread ends here :)

Once you have the new thread please post the link here, so those of us whom are interested can find the new thread!!

Thank you very mych for all advice and feedback thus far! Your a great bunch of geeks :)

You are quite welcome, we geeks just want our friends to have successful projects!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.