F5 Cascoded - an alternative for my interest in the Balanced F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
P= Ipk^2 * R / 2 for a sinewave.

If you increase the number of output devices you can increase the total output bias.
Ipk can be the ClassA current = 2*Ib, or it can be the ClassAB current limit, which will bring in voltage clipping first (P= Vpk^2 /R / 2).

The standard F5 has for each device Pq ~ 25V * 1.3A = 33W.
If you take a parallel pair and run each device to the same Pq, then total output Pq is ~120W instead of ~65W.
You can use the extra output dissipation capability to increase the rail voltage, or increase the output bias, or to combine both, with an infinite range of Vrail & Ib, to approach your 120W of Pq

To chose the rail voltage, you have to consider:
Which load you intend to use.
How much class A and class AB power you want.
How many output pairs you intend to use.

Then, for a given rail voltage, the maximum bias is limited by dissipation into output devices.
For instance, i have chosen 33v rails for 50w classA and classAB into 8 ohms load, two pairs.
For higher classAB power, you can increase the rail voltage and lower the bias which means less classA power.
For higher classA power , decrease the rail voltage, this allowing higher bias.

Last edited:
Thanks. Finally clarity.

Now a more foolish question:

Where do most folks find the best outcome with a modified F5, more class A or more class AB?

The other funny observation is how incredibly well designed the stock F5 is, every time I push in a new direction, I see why NP made the F5 the way he did - he's a genius!

P= Ipk^2 * R / 2 for a sinewave.

If you increase the number of output devices you can increase the total output bias.
Ipk can be the ClassA current = 2*Ib, or it can be the ClassAB current limit, which will bring in voltage clipping first (P= Vpk^2 /R / 2).

The standard F5 has for each device Pq ~ 25V * 1.3A = 33W.
If you take a parallel pair and run each device to the same Pq, then total output Pq is ~120W instead of ~65W.
You can use the extra output dissipation capability to increase the rail voltage, or increase the output bias, or to combine both, with an infinite range of Vrail & Ib, to approach your 120W of Pq

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Where do most folks find the best outcome with a modified F5, more class A or more class AB?

I have made my own personal choise
making it a 40watt, with maybe "just" 20watt classA
but its "experimental", and I may still end up with 40watt classA :D
I still have to look at the cost of electricity
how will I use it
for how many hours each day, etc
that will have influence on how I do it

2 If power output is calculated by P=I*2R, what's the advantage to higher rail voltage? Isn't the advantage for power found with a higher bias current?
3 Finally, is there any reason for me to replace the BC546 and BC556 with low noise versions (BC550 and BC560)?

2. Yes and Yes and No. First off, Ciss drops further with higher voltage (ie Vds) and becomes almost flat which leads to lower distortion. From memory I think they (IR devices) perform their best around 40V to 50V Vds. However, the answer to your question will be different for everyone. It will depend on how loud you listen to music, the efficiency of your speakers, and the nominal and reactive impedance of your speakers.

If you have low impedance speakers then maybe 30V and 1.8A is a good compromise. It is hard to give a definitive answer.
Let your ear be the judge. If you have two transformers you can try high voltage low bias vs low voltage high bias.

3. Low Noise devices are nice however since the amp is low gain the signal coming into the amp is a lot higher than most other amps so you may not notice a big difference.

Last edited:
I tried multiple outputs tonight. I could bias to 2.3A at 36V. The heat-sink was a little too hot (30C over room temp).

I can see how a Cascoded F5 would be interesting but I may head back to the Balanced version.

Juma,

Can you show an example? I'm not sure how one calculates U.

Also, P = U x U /R and current flows through load only and only as a consequence of voltage, meaning that if you want higher current through the same load you have to supply higher voltage first.

That does not seem possible using your heatsink.
Your dissipating 165W.
There is no way you would only be at 30 degrees above ambient unless you have very poor thermal contact between your mosfets and the heatsink.
I know because I have four of those heatsinks and did quite extensive tests for Patrick. I found that at 130W the heatsink is bloody hot (just acceptable).

Last edited:
I backed off the bias a bit. Now I'm at 2A and I'm 48C. Room temp is 27C. Better.

That does not seem possible using your heatsink.
Your dissipating 165W.
There is no way you would only be at 30 degrees above ambient unless you have very poor thermal contact between your mosfets and the heatsink.
I know because I have four of those heatsinks and did quite extensive tests for Patrick. I found that at 130W the heatsink is bloody hot (just acceptable).

Can you show an example? I'm not sure how one calculates U.

V=IR

IF R = 8 Ohms and you want the maximum Class A Power using a bias of 2A (=4A class A for push pull)

Then V=4x8 =32V

IF R=4

Then V=4x4 =16V

That does not mean you have to use those values. Some people bias higher knowing that their speakers drop to 3Ohms even though the nominal impedance might be 8 Ohms (espescially important for single ended amps). Other people might bias higher because it sounds better or they might bias lower because it sounds better.
There are always exceptions to the rules.

Nelson designed the F5 for 25w/ 8 ohms using 1 pair.
I t seems reasonable to me, when using two pairs, to limit the classA power to 50w.

In your example, you are reaching 64W

Max voltage swing is about 36v-4v=32v (4v = losses)
32*32/2*8=64W classAB
4*4*8=128W peak =64w ClassA

ClassA power= classAB one which is fine but a bit high.
It's possible but allows no error margin.
Personally, i prefer 33v rails.

Edit: crossed posts.

Last edited:
I'm measuring continuously. I have a digital thermometer, I put the tip in one of the thread holes in the heat sink. I touch the tip to the Mosfet cases for that measurement.

When I thought I was 30C over room temp, I may have mis-measured the room (temp changed as time went on).

I'll try again tomorrow and log all the temps vs time.

How long after turn on, are you taking these temperature measurements?
What are you using to measure?
It does not seem right at all. Your only 21 degrees above ambient.

Melon Head,
could you develop?

Maybe best to use an example.

Amp a) Push Pull biased at 2A
Amp b) Single ended biased at 4A

Lest assume we connect both up to an 8 Ohm speaker.

Amp a) Will produce (4x4)x8 =128W pk =64W avg
Amp b) Will produce (4x4)x8 =128W pk =64W avg

So far so good, except this speaker has impedance dips down to 2Ohms.

Lets assume both Amps have 32V rails with no losses.

At 2 Ohms Amp a) simply goes into class B operation and produces 16A (32/2=16) =16^2 x 2 = 512W pk =256W avg

Amp b) does not go into class B operation and will only output a maximum of 4A =4^2 x 2 = 32W pk = 16W avg

So Amp b) experiences severe current clipping while Amp a) just goes into class b operation and is still happy.

So the point here is when considering the bias point for a single ended amp don't just think about the nominal impedance but also consider what is the minimum impedance. The Aleph current source gets us out of trouble a bit here because it is capable of exceeding the bias current by a certain percentage depending on how it is setup. However Nelson has said it does not sound that great while operating in this mode. So best not to rely on it.

I should also point out that this was an extreme example for illustration purposes.

For my loudspeakers, I know I don't exceed 16V music peaks and I know the impedance doesn't fall below 3Ohms. So if I were to build a single ended Amp then I would bias around 5A. Even 4A would probably be enough knowing that it would only be on rare occasions that there would be a Voltage peak at the impedance dip, and this rare occasion could be tackled by the Aleph current source without significant audible effects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.