Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 preamp build thread
B1 preamp build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2017, 06:05 PM   #321
folkdeath95 is offline folkdeath95  France
diyAudio Member

Ok, so if I take this led for example, with a 20V PSU, the series resistor shoud be 20K. Right?
Old 10th September 2017, 07:26 PM   #322
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 preamp build thread
too much typing and thinking ....
Old 10th September 2017, 07:56 PM   #323
JPS64 is offline JPS64  Germany
diyAudio Member

20V PSU, Uf=3.9V, If=20mA, resistor 1k61@0.88W

Donc, R=1k8@0.5W (11mA)

JP
Old 10th September 2017, 09:35 PM   #324
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 preamp build thread
yeah

good for top of Xmass Tree

Old 24th September 2017, 09:39 AM   #325
Stilio is offline Stilio
diyAudio Member

Default Caps after regulator

I have built the B1 and recently added my version of σ11 regulated linear power supply to it.
Would you share your thoughts on the C1 and C2 (currently Mundorf MLytic AG 20K each)? Could their high capacity cause any harm in case of a good power supply before them or I should not be bothered?
Btw replacing my previous LT1084 based LPS with the σ11 shunt regulator, did not make any difference to my ears. That is why I am wondering if the big MLytics are messing something or that is just the limit of B1.
Old 8th October 2017, 04:32 PM   #326
stefanhgm is offline stefanhgm
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to build a B1 preamp as well. Unfortunately I'm not that deep into electronics and this would just be my second hifi electronics diy project. My first was a SymAsym poweramp which I plan to combine with the B1. My goal is a build that has at least four inputs (preferably more) and an automatic volume control. My first step would be to setup the basic build on a wooden board and than add everything I want step by step before I put it into its final compartment.

So, here are my first questions:

1. The only source of a B1 PCB with matched transistor I found here: PassDiy. As far as I see this is the original PCB with only 2 inputs, right? Is there any comparable alternative that would suffice my requirement of the number of inputs? Btw I am from Germany.

2. Which would be the best choice for a high quality motorized poti with a simple volume control?

3. Is there a source of good volume/source selection knobs?

4. Is it possible to have balanced as well an unbalanced inputs and outputs? I think I saw preamps that combine both.

I'm grateful for any helpful information!
Old 9th October 2017, 10:21 AM   #327
pluplog is offline pluplog  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have a question regarding ordering the boards from Pass. I place an order about a week ago but besides the payment confirmation from PayPal, there was no other notifications of any sort. Did you wait a few weeks to get the boards? Was there a tracking number given?

Thanks!
Old 10th October 2017, 01:41 PM   #328
albertNL is offline albertNL
diyAudio Member

B1 preamp build thread
GB For Salas I-Select Mesmerize Type input selector and volume control

I-Select will give you the inputs you want. Just bypass the switch on the B1 pcb.

Knobs come in many shapes and sizes (and prices). Check out conrad.de or reichelt.de or ebay. Modushop.biz in Italy do some very nice ones and shipping is not so bad for Germany. You can also buy them from eltim.eu and may combine with other parts to save on shipping.

B1 is single ended only. If you want balanced you could build a BB1 (balanced b1) which simply is 2 b1's, one for each channel. Or you could look at Aleph P1.7, Zen Mod's Pumpkin and many others.
Old 5th November 2017, 05:04 PM   #329
stefanhgm is offline stefanhgm
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,

I got my DCB1 and I-Select last week and started to put them together. Four questions arose so far:

1. When using the "Hot Rod" variant with a 10 Ohm resistor, which parts will need additional cooling? I guess the large MOSFETs IRFP240 and RFP9240, but also the MUR820 diodes and L7812ACV regulator? The regulator has this small "cooling clip" so far.

2. When cooling the parts mentioned above with a 17*10cm aluminum cooler can I also go one step further with the "Hot Rod" by using the 5 Ohm resistors or would this need some kind of active cooling? I don't want to take a risk that the DCB1 will blow up later on.

3. If I use the "Hot Rod" variant with the 10 Ohm or 5 Ohm resistors, do I need a stronger transformer or is the 50Va  2x15V still sufficient?

4. Just to be sure, when using the 7812 regulator I place a jumper over the 600 ohm resistor, right?

Thanks!
Old 5th November 2017, 06:41 PM   #330
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the lower CCS resistor increases the current through the CCS. The CCS mosFET gets hotter.

The extra current is NOT used by the Buffer so all of the extra current is lost through the Shunt mosFET. It runs hotter.

B1 preamp build threadHide this!Advertise here!