B1 preamp build thread

Sorry that there wasn't a more timely reply...

Those caps will be fine. :)

Thanks 6L6. This is my first build ever. I have been collecting parts over the past few months. I do not have any soldering experience so I have been practicing that on a bread board. I hope to start work on my B1 next week. I'm sure I will have a few more questions before I'm done.

Thanks again,

Nikhil

diode polarity

Hi could some one please tell me if the diode has been soldered with the correct polarity.

Thanks

Attachments

• diode.gif
    diode.gif
    275.4 KB · Views: 2,131
B1 power by batteries

I have a question and need your help.
I am thinking to use two 12-volt batteries to power the B1.
Two 12V batteries actually gives 26.4 V 13.2 V at full load x 2, and Mr. Nelson Pass says the power is 18 to 24V.
Will there be any problem with the B1 using higher voltage?
A friend of mine has done the experiment using two 9 volt batteries and the sound is something spectacular, much better, more limpid than using the standard PSU.
Advance grateful.
jpedro

I have a question and need your help.
I am thinking to use two 12-volt batteries to power the B1.
Two 12V batteries actually gives 26.4 V 13.2 V at full load x 2, and Mr. Nelson Pass says the power is 18 to 24V.
Will there be any problem with the B1 using higher voltage?
A friend of mine has done the experiment using two 9 volt batteries and the sound is something spectacular, much better, more limpid than using the standard PSU.
Advance grateful.
jpedro

Original Pass B1 has 2X15000uf 25V caps,so NP suggested 18-24V.You can increase the voltage if you use 35V or higher caps,

Regards,
Sachin

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
if you already have 25V caps in your B1 , they will survive this low insignificant current draw without any problems at all

but if its a new build, 35V wont hurt, and may even have lower ESR

the higher voltage may change the bias setting

maybe a cap multiplier would make sense

I use insulated 0.6mm diameter solid core copper.
It would be cheaper to use the insulated ~0.5mm diameter cores from CAT5, but it is a lot of work to separate and straighten.

If you require ready made twisted pairs then CAT5 is worth the effort to strip off the outer cover.

repost of incomplete post due to delay in the Forum showing my post.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So the Axon 10uF caps Nelson uses in his B1 (as far as I saw in the pictures of the open case) have not a very good recommendation in the capacitor test at

Humble Homemade Hifi :mad:

I tried them and they do a special sound, I like them very much! Concurrents were Clarity Cap ESA, Obbligato old ones, Cornel Dubilier KP and some other.

Well chosen Nelson! :cool: