B1 preamp build thread

22g (AWG?) is quite thick for the currents in a line level stage.

24/25/26swg is more common for these very low currents and even then they are still much larger than the current actually requires.
If we could get the reliability and robustness from a 28swg or 30swg, then there may be a tiny, but probably inaudible, change in the way the signal passes through.

PSU regulator for B1

Specific info on the PSU -

Transformer - Avel-Lindberg Y236001 15va 9v+9v Secondaries in series.
Transformers and Power Converters From Avel Lindberg, Inc.
You could also use a Y236004 and parallel the secondaries.

Circuit board - Universal Power supply PCB from Peter Daniel DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information. This product is not on his website, but email him and he takes care of it quickly. Lots more info on this board here - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149672-universal-power-supply-pcb.html

I used the LM317 regulator circuit right from the datasheet - http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM117.pdf
This fits directly on the PCB

In my build I populated the board from my local surplus store, so I will have to make a guess as to actual parts from Digi-key...

The first electrolytic cap is a 35v (because the output from the rectifier is close to 30v) 3300uf. Digi-Key - P7607-ND (Manufacturer - ECO-S1VP332BA)

The electrolytic downstream of the regulator is 25v 6800uf . This value was chosen only because it was the biggest thing they had at the store. But it's quiet and sounds great, so here is an equivalent - Digi-Key - P6458-ND (Manufacturer - ECE-S1EG682M)

The TO-220 package diodes are MUR860 diodes - Digi-Key - MUR860GOS-ND (Manufacturer - MUR860G)

Now on to the regulator circuit

Regulator device, LM317 - Digi-Key - LM317TFS-ND (Manufacturer - LM317T)

5K trimpot - this looks like it should work. Solder the wiper to one of the legs. - Digi-Key - 3296W-502LF-ND (Manufacturer - 3296W-1-502LF)

240ohm resistor - ERD-S1TJ241V Panasonic Electronic Components | Resistors | DigiKey

.1uf cap - Digi-Key - P4525-ND (Manufacturer - ECQ-V1H104JL)

1.0uf cap - Digi-Key - P4675-ND (Manufacturer - ECQ-V1H105JL)

Hopefully this is of some help to you! Please feel free to contact me via PM or just ask in this thread if you have any questions.

Hey 6L6, could you show me the schematic on this regulator please? I don't have the board but would like to solder it with perf board. I'm not sure where to place the big caps and the diodes...

Greetings, Jakob

Thanks, I will look into those pots. I bought the Pass kit with the JFets.

I am thinking about using Obliggato Premium Gold Caps or a combinstion of Mundorf Mcap Evo Silver/Gold-oil caps 1uF 450v and 10uF 630v Obbligato caps.

Any thought on this?

Made mine with all Obligato caps, Ms audio/valab ladder type 10k attenuator
Also used teddy Pardo 12v power supply. compared very well to a Expensive tube pre, even though the tube pre had more mid range depth.
B1 had better bass detail and very extended highs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I have a tecnical question regarding the capacitors on the B1. I tried mixing around with capacitors to get a more forward sound of this preamp. I have now redused the 10uf to a 0,1 uf sonicap gen 2. The amp sounds much more forward, but looses some bass. My question is: What does the 10uf capacitor do, what happens if I reduce its size and could I do any harm with changing this cap?
mattism

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The original B1 does not use a split supply, this means that the output has half the rail voltage (about 9V DC if using 18V supply) on it. The cap is there to block the DC.

However the capacitor along with the resistor to ground (both in the B1 and the amp it is connected to) on the output also forms a high pass filter. If you reduce the capacitor too much you will reduce the bass output.

edit: as an example, say the amp you are connecting the B1 to has an input impedance of 25K then with a 10 uF cap the corner frequency will be approx 0.63Hz, but with a 0.1uF cap the corner frequency will be around 63 Hz! A lower impedance amp will be worse!

Tony.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I would increase the capacitor to at least 1uF. The issue is not just the output resistor on the B1 (which is from memory a very large value, 1 Meg Ohm if memory serves, which will have virtually no impact at all) but is more a function of the resistor to ground on the input of the amplifier (which could include the volume pot). This is not something that you want to mess around with.

I believe that the 10uF value will have been chosen so that even if the B1 is connected to a very low input impedance amplifier that the rollof is still acceptable.

I assume you are trying small caps due to cost/size? I'm not one to put too much faith in boutique caps. My feeling is that any decent quality film cap (polypropylene) of the appropriate size (10uF) should be fine. Any comparisons with caps of a different size than standard may be making changes that are to do with the different size and NOT because it is better quality or has better sonic characteristics.

Tony.

I built my B1 some time ago and while it sounded nice I felt something was lacking.

I recently bought some Salas Shunt boards for another project and thought I might as well try it first in the B1 to see if it would make a difference to the B1's sound. I used the same SMPS, replaced the 15000uF caps on the B1 board by 1000uF Silmic II 's and fed the B1 a lower but much cleaner 20V. Boy was I in for a surprise :spin:

Anyone out there with a B1, if you are building a Salas Shunt for another project, give it a try in your B1 and see if it makes it shine like mine!

I built my B1 some time ago and while it sounded nice I felt something was lacking.

I recently bought some Salas Shunt boards for another project and thought I might as well try it first in the B1 to see if it would make a difference to the B1's sound. I used the same SMPS, replaced the 15000uF caps on the B1 board by 1000uF Silmic II 's and fed the B1 a lower but much cleaner 20V. Boy was I in for a surprise :spin:

Anyone out there with a B1, if you are building a Salas Shunt for another project, give it a try in your B1 and see if it makes it shine like mine!

The Salas shunt dont require 1000uf much more like 100-220uF preferred. You better try that way.

I may have put my initial post in the wrong thread. Here goes again:

I just got my B1 Buffer board with matching JFETs.

Question: Can this be modified to eliminate the extra input (really only need one input) and avoid the selector switch and extra wiring? Is it a simple matter of a few jumper wires or something? Just wondered if someone has done this as a simplification.

Thanks!

Dang it. Build completed, but only the left channel is coming through with full volume. When the right channel is the only one - you can hear something, but it's very faint. I did use a heat sink on the legs of the transistors when soldering, but wondering if I still burned them out soldering one obstinate solder joint.

Are there any voltage test points to try to troubleshoot this? I've checked integrity of the input/output solder joints, so it must be something on the board.

Thanks.