Stereophile covers Burning Amp 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Another thing that irked me is:
DIYers who share the mantra “I can build that for less.”

There are plenty of people here who can 'buy' megabuck audiophile gear, but choose not to.

I hate people who like to show off 'their' cool gadgets. If you didn't build it, your contribution to it is exactly Zero.

Yeah, that one kind of irked me, too. I build stuff because it's interesting and because I can make the stuff do exactly what I want, not because I'm lusting after some overpriced piece of audio jewelry.

Exactly!
But I suppose it's beyond poor guy's grasp - he simply despises ideas that are not part of his narrow, snobbish mindset. Maybe there's a bit od fear hidden beyond that unpolished sarcasm too - his real employers (expencive cable sellers and similar) are actually loosing customers as DIY community is getting stronger...

I'm actually not so annoyed. Stereophile, or any mainstream audio magazine, covering DIY-oriented events like RMAF or BA is a huge step forward. Granted the article wasn't perfect, but on the other hand he did cover people building stuff on their own, and he pointed out well-known guys like Pass, Linkwitz, and Curl are right in there with the rest of us.

Who knows? Maybe a Stereophile reader might pick up a soldering iron after reading about this. Perhaps the magazine might even consider a DIY section...

Besides, I want a chance to prove my home-grown cables will smoke the Odins any day of the week. :D

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Stereophile used to do DIY articles... Not very often, but they still existed.

The real question is does Stereophile want an educated readership? Once you grab a soldering iron your taste for the really expensive stuff usually dwindles down... Why would I want to spend, say, $5000 on an amp when I can make two or three F5s, a B5 (soon, anyway...) and a killer set of speakers (perhaps Open-baffel) for the same money?

As for cables, don't get me started... Other than to say that P.T. Barnum and (more importantly) Thorstein Veblen were right.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever

Stereophile and similar FiFi magz have their public and group of interest ;

that's good - I reckon that Papa have some benefits paying for ads , same as other brands.

and that's good that way , just because money turns world go round ....

in any case , whatever goal/objective of sayed mag is , that piece of scribing is slightly unprofessional , derisive and frivolous .

it doesn't matter that object of scribing is event important to me ; that importance means nothing more than fact that I'm good informed about all things meaning BAF , so I can judge objective quality of article .
having enough experience in public informing area ( both in radio station and news paper) I'm positive that I have enough qualification to have my own attitude .

believe me - I can't care less , both for article and author , as for their group of interest .... but sometimes is fun to have fun , laughing to that virtual reality world , called HiFi Idolatry .........

(one day I'll have enough money to buy my "wish gadgets" ; that are just two - original Japan Ongaku , and XA30.5 ........ not because I need any of them , or I can't make my own..... just because of respect :clown: )

edit : and yes - knowledge and experience is all around ...... waiting to be picked up ; importance of some of well-known guys isn't in their knowledge , but first in their human qualities ......... so - in first instance I'm glad that we have here some good ppl , more or less or even less knowledgeable ......
that last part is of least significance :rofl:

Last edited:
Stereophile used to do DIY articles... Not very often, but they still existed.

The real question is does Stereophile want an educated readership? Once you grab a soldering iron your taste for the really expensive stuff usually dwindles down... Why would I want to spend, say, $5000 on an amp when I can make two or three F5s, a B5 (soon, anyway...) and a killer set of speakers (perhaps Open-baffel) for the same money?

As for cables, don't get me started... Other than to say that P.T. Barnum and (more importantly) Thorstein Veblen were right.

To their credit, Stereophile published an interview with John Dunlavy where he called much of the audiophile nonsense "floobydust", decried cables, and made his case for basing design on good measurements before the first audition. He's not the only one, either: Jim Thiel (Theil) and Kevin Voecks (Revel), while perhaps more circumspect than Dunlavy's frankness, nevertheless said the same things.

The magazine isn't perfect (Sam Tellig sets my teeth on edge every time), but there are some bright spots - John Atkinson's measurements are second to none in the field - so even with the other stuff I think they're a useful resource.

Besides, I'm well past the "saving money" stage of this hobby. After the test gear and especially my time (you don't want to know my DSP billing rates) it would've been cheaper to buy the stuff and gold-plate every damned wire. It's the knowledge that keeps me going: the journey is the reward and all that.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I avoid the "press" (reporters - interviewers) at all cost. I have been present at interviews and presentations where I heard and saw what was said (or shown) and then read the report or saw it on TV and was always disappointed by the result. That was on a good day - onna bad day where the interviewer has it in their mind to "get you" - sheeeeet - you may not ever get over the damage done.

ZenMod - it looks as if you are over your bad feelings about "dumby thingies" - dis is goooooood! (Nooooo - I don't wanna know what it was about.)

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
naah

that was nothing bad , even bad/hard feeling , when I wrote that I'm dumb ;

it's certainly fact - hard to change for rest of my life , so I'm pretty much used to that :rofl:

Just ask SWMBO or 17 y/o granddaughter - I don't know nutt'n. :p

When I go back and look at big math problems - what little I did know - well - it's in a file around here somewhere. :D:D:D

Who knows? Maybe a Stereophile reader might pick up a soldering iron after reading about this. Perhaps the magazine might even consider a DIY section...

Hey, it was the old Aunt Corey's Buffered passive Preamp article that got me involved. Of course, I've not read the magazine since then ...

So what do you think of the vacuum impregnated lacquered felt?

Mmmmmm, lacquered felt

images

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, I'm sure you realize there are very few compliments in all these pages regarding this particular article.

I know, just joking. Maybe I should write it up again next year.
This year I was busy flogging Linear Audio. Although I couldn't prevent that a handful of books were "borrowed without my consent", never to be seen again.

jan didden

Status
Not open for further replies.