Papa's New sand toys .......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How much for the meters Papa, big enuff ? .... :p

Pass Labs showed off two nice beer fridges, er, amplifiers at this year’s CES. Lacking any model numbers or nomenclature, the top monoblock amp (the top two units) is a single-ended 200W amp and the bottom monoblock is a single-ended 300W amp .

Nelson Pass is shooting to use no feedback on these circuits and maintain the Super Symmetry design made popular in far less extreme applications. The new part for these amps is a brand new silicon-carbide FET. These FETs were initially designed for the military—way to turn swords into plow shares and space heaters, Nelson!—and Pass Labs intends on exploring their use in future products.

:cheers:

Attachments

• Pass1.jpg
    Pass1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 863
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well ....... there is some additional info ;

less hogwash regarding feedback/susy , some interesting numbers ( quadruple ,quintuple,hgwshuple , number of teuer output devices ) but also added hogwash regarding "same output stage topology as XA200.5 " which certainly isn't made of one polarity outputs ; to my knowledge - Papafets are made in one polarity .....

anyway - just chatting ....... 'till Papa decide to reveal more crumbs

for now - I'm even ignorant in that area - can SITs be made in both modes - normally on and normally off

tried to find , but without success

edit :

oh Boy - I hope some wakoo enough rich & clever bstrd will buy enough of these for his 7+1 setup , so Papa can trow some more pocket money for developing new SS tube parts :devily:

Last edited:
as I wrote in Pub - nobody really think about fact that new Papafets are same as WE 300B in tube world - but sans need for output xformer

meters ..... yeah :clown:

I do, although this is more like one chunk of the 1k Beast of paralleled Toshiba jfets! I think the next iteration more will be. Remember Papa bankrolled a large quantity of 300Bs?...he needs to characterize these before submitting specs to the SemiSouth:D Or he already DID!:sing:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You guys are perhaps trying to make a single sense out of
a number of different things.

The amplifiers shown at CES are different from SuSy,
which is why they are called Ultra-Symmetry (a name
also conjured by Wensan).

They do not have feedback, and they do use a large
quantity of SemiSouth power Jfets.

Nothing is final about these pieces, which are scheduled
for release mid-year.

The Beast with a Thousand Jfets is a very large set of
parallel 2SJ74 and 2SK170 pairs which is a different thing
and which will be published soon.

The SIT device project does not yet have information for
the public, but it is true that the transistors look a lot
like triodes in their curves. Currently there are several
prototypes undergoing evaluation.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I take the blame :rofl:

I'm constantly taking in account ( and commenting ) what inspired journalist wrote on linked FiFi page :

Pass Labs showed off two nice beer fridges, er, amplifiers at this year’s CES. Lacking any model numbers or nomenclature, the top monoblock amp (the top two units) is a single-ended 200W amp ($45,000/pair) and the bottom monoblock is a single-ended 300W amp ($75,000/pair). Nelson Pass is shooting to use no feedback on these circuits and maintain the Super Symmetry design made popular in far less extreme applications. The new part for these amps is a brand new silicon-carbide FET. These FETs were initially designed for the military—way to turn swords into plow shares and space heaters, Nelson!—and Pass Labs intends on exploring their use in future products.

that and nothing more .......

:clown:

while I completely forgot that Papa already mentioned Ultra Symmetry , first time we talk about huge concept amps ......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.