P1.7 & Ono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to the forum and thanks to Nelson Pass my new P1.7 is 'operational'. The pictures show the current state with an interim front and the volume control logic as per Jens Witte's design.
An 'upgrade' towards an APOX controlled P1.7 is in work.

Attachments

• p1.7 front.jpg
    p1.7 front.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,862
some more info

Jason - the Ono is the phone stage from NP, PQuadrat was willing to share his design and actually organized a group buy for the PCBs.

The boards in the P1.7 are from Kristijan (the actual preamp PCB and the two small PSUs). The backplane (input select relays), the volume relay PCB and the small logic PCB controlling the volume board are 'our' work. We designed them and Kristijan converted them to his standards and got them produced (we = group of four colleagues that are currently building Aleph5s (http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/aleph5-p5.htm), Onos and P1.7s).

The smal interim select/encoder PCBs mounted to the frontpanel are homemade and will be replaced once the APOX interface is ready.

Thomas - the preamp works very well. No background noise, no hum at all, very detailed and very controlled without giving any impression that the music is 'forced'. Sorry for my lack of better words to describe the sound. I had two Classé preamps driving my Alephs (DR5 and Thirty) which were nice but no match for the P1.7.

Regards,
Andreas

APOX-API Interace board almost complete!

Hi guys,

I have almost completed the APOX interface to the P1.7. :yes:
I am about to order the raw PCB boards.
I currently have an order for 4 boards, so If you'd like a board,
please let me know now.

The APOX-API will come with a programmed PIC chip, but no other components. The APOX-IR1 kit comes with all of the components.

To check out the APOX-IR1, go to www.dipchipelec.com

Thanks,
Craig Beiferman

additional info

Marjan - as far as we are concerned Kristijan can produce and sell our boards.
- The volume relay board is a direct implementation of the NP AlephP1.7 relay scheme as outlined in the P1.7 manual. The board is single sided.
- The control board that drives the volume relay board is a direct implementation of Jens Witte's control logic with additional 5V and 12V powersupplies (7805 & 7812) since we used 12V relays (Fujitsu Takamisawa NA series obtained via Schuro in Germany). Jens has provided his ok to use his scheme as long as it is for hobby applications and not to make profits.
- The input select board has five relay selectable inputs (1 two-pole relay per balanced input). All inputs can either be symmetrical or assymmetrical (XLR or Cinch). Output is one set of Cinch before the preamp and one Cinch/XLR after the preamp.
In order to keep the cost down, the input select board is also single-sided (there are some bridges to be soldered) but has a complete grounding plane on the component side.

Jaac - I do not know - for some high-end freaks MKP is the minimum. I am not sure if I could hear the difference. They are hard to get, especially for 10uF and always expensive.

Rarkov - yes the sound is very nice. The chassis are Schraff 'Multipac' and were purchased via RS Components. The milling of the back was done at 'Schaeffer Apparatebau' in Berlin after providing them with the raw backplane and a drawing that was done with their (downloadable) software. I think a similar service exists in the U.S.

As Craig Beiferman pointed out, the APOX folks are designing a special interface for us that will allow us to connect our volume relay board (12V, all relays connected on the '+' side, 2804 driver) and our input select board (12V, all relays connected on the '-' side, 2981 driver) and control them with the standard APOX-IR1 kit. The board will be as big (small) as the current control board and also have 5V and 12V power supplies.

I will provide an update once the P1.7 is complete.

Regards,
Andreas

what does the ono do

The Ono is a phono stage that amplifies the signal from a turntable cartridge (either moving magnet (MM) or moving coil(MC)) to a level similar to the signal level of a CD player or other source (tape, dvd, tuner, etc.). The signal that comes out of a moving magnet cartridge is very weak compared to the signal coming from a CD player - the signal from a MC is even smaller (down to .2 mV).

In addition the phono stage corrects the signal coming from the record. Because of technical problems to record all frequencies with a similar level, the signal 'cut' into the master record is modified in accordance to an agreed standard curve (RIAA curve - Radio Industrie of America Association - see this site for more info :http://www.euronet.nl/~mgw/background/riaa/uk_riaa_background_1.html).
The phono stage has to reverse this 'shaping' of the recorded signal in order to reverse it to the signal similar to the original.

Anyone with a better explanation please pitch in !

Regards,
Andreas

Re: and a picture of the Ono

ARAD said:
The Ono is based on PQuadrat's fantastic boards

Nice to see your picutre here. :)
Just some small questions. Which Elco Caps do you have choosen on your Ono ?
In your first picture you have send to me
via e-mail there was another transformer
right ?

The Big red foil caps are wima MKS4 if i have seen it correctly. The small ones
are WIMA FKP2 and MKS02 ?

Where do you get the chase and how
much cost it ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.