Pearl (one) Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a matter of fact I've been listening to it for several months.
Pearl_foto3.jpg
Pearl_foto4.jpg
Pearl_foto5.jpg

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Sorry for interrupting. Folks, correct me if I'm wrong: Pearl one is a MM preamp and Pearl two is a MC preamp, right?
Is it possible to make a phono two and just bypass the additional gain stage and use it for a MM cartridge as well?

It doesn't matter a lot. Pearl II has more gain and that's why more suitable for MC cartriges which have generaly weaker signal than MM cartriges. There is no harm in using Pearl II for MM. The only difference is in cartrige load. MM and MC differs in that respect substantialy. Additionally in case of MC choosing proper load is very important.
Just find Pass Laboratories Xono Owner's Manual PDF page 3-4. Look at the colour photo on page 4 and you will see.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Pearl one is a MM preamp and Pearl two is a MC preamp, right?
Is it possible to make a phono two and just bypass the additional gain stage and use it for a MM cartridge as well?

There isn't that much difference between the two -- The Pearl 2 does have more gain, but not like an additional gain stage ("pre-preamp") that some designs have. So it's not bypassable. (Is that a word?)

Anyway, the Pearl 2 has fantastic overload capability, and a very large range of input signal -- it can take the bulk of modern MM carts out there. As the previous poster mentioned, just load it properly and you are good.

It's a great sounding phono stage. You will not be disappointed. :) :) :)

Dzius - Great article! Thank you for the link.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Actually I wouldn't (and, for that matter didn't...) make the loading on a separate board or switch arrangement. But, I don't tend to change cartridges all that often. If you do, it might be a good idea.

There are provisions on the PCB to add loading capacitors and resistors. Just determine the suggested load for the cartridge, it's in the cart's manual, and adjust those components as necessary.

If you want to make it a switched arrangement, the DIP schematic shown above is quite nice. :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Here is something worth mentioning -

I recently completed a headphone amp (the Objective 2 "O2") and was listening to the Pearl with it. Normal listing had the volume knob at about 20%, and it became uncomfortable around 30%. This is with the gain switch in the low position.

It's a very, very nice amp, but that's not the point of this post...

With the volume up all the way, and the gain switch in the the high position, the Pearl had no humm! None at all. In fact, the popcorn noise of the input fets (and way in the background at that...) was all that you could hear.

:D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
@6L6:

Happy New Year.....Five years on!

I found this thread as I have a German version of the Pearl 1 fully built sitting in the garage. I bought it off the classifieds here on DIY Audio. It has a dual mono config but all in one case. The seller claimed a minor distortion problem.

My question is whether in your view the sound quality of the first version (for low output MC) is very far behind that of the later DIY versions? [I intend using with a B3 pre, M2, and decent front-end. The arm/TT will be heavily modded Lenco with 1" solid fine grain graphite mat and cartridges will be SPU family on a heavy 12" Schick style arm.]

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The overall sound of the Pearl (one) compared to the Pearl 2 is very, very similar, as the circuit is basically the same. The 2 has a different PSU configuration and output stage, (to give more overall gain) but the input and RIAA stages are essentially identical. They both sound fantastic!

Now will a Pearl (either version) have enough gain for an SPU? Probably not. They are notoriously low-output, as you know. I would assume that you will be using a transformer for the cartridge? SPU were designed around them, and if I recall correctly there was at least one (an Ortofon?) that had the transformer built into the head.

Being a member of the church "Our holy savior of loading cartridges properly", in my experience, if the cartridge is looking into the proper load, the active stages behind that point are relieved of the heavy lifting and are left in peace to do their thing. If the cartridge loading is not correct, then issues reverberate down the line...

The Pearl (one) will sound wonderful assuming the SPU is looking into a transformer that can dance properly with it.

Thank you for that response 6L6. I know exactly what you mean re. loading. I have another cartridge far more difficult to use in this respect, an original late 1970s Audionote Io.

Both are, when properly loaded, two of the best sounding cartridges for classical music that I have heard...the only one probably better was the Be Yamamura specified Audio Teckne; but that was even lower output than An Io and very difficult to set up properly.

I will get the Lenco finished and get the Pearl going nevertheless, possibly with a Denon or similar cheaper cartridge in the first instance.

Last edited:
Thank you for that response 6L6. I know exactly what you mean re. loading. I have another cartridge far more difficult to use in this respect, an original late 1970s Audionote Io.

Both are, when properly loaded, two of the best sounding cartridges for classical music that I have heard...the only one probably better was the Be Yamamura specified Audio Teckne; but that was even lower output than An Io and very difficult to set up properly.

I will get the Lenco finished and get the Pearl going nevertheless, possibly with a Denon or similar cheaper cartridge in the first instance.

Having looked more carefully at your pics I realised that something was wrong...old age has caught up with me so I got the unit out to take a pic. It is NOT - as previously said - a Pearl; it is an Xono with boards dated 2005!

Apologies for wasting your time 6L6. Here is a pic anyway! If anyone has any experience of this amp I would be p[leased to read their impressions - especially with low output MCs

Attachments

• BCC_1301.jpg
    BCC_1301.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 224

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Everything I said remains the same, with the exception that the Xono will have enough gain without a transformer.

BUT, the SPU will always perform better with transformer loading.

Anyway, I'd strongly suggest getting another chassis and removing the transformers/PSU from the chassis, you''ll never get it genuinely quiet with mains transformers in the same box. The Xono is a jaw-dropping, amazing, wonderful design, fix whatever issues the builder had and I'm sure it will work well.

Many thanks yet again 6L6.

I'll put the PS in a different chassis and I suspect that the original problem will be solved thereby.

I'll come back in a few months when the Lenco is running as it seems that my SP10 has been 'disappeared' by a repairman who appears to have disappeared himself as well!!!

Yup, and thanks for your condolences....we had a guy here in the UK who had a brilliant name for working on top end DD TTs.
Seems that his mental stability was not as hot as his workmanship and knowledge. A friend had a Trio Lo there and important parts of another. Many people have lost the lot it seems as the guy will not respond to phone etc. Google ''Vantage Audio turntable problems''...you will find the tip of the iceberg.

Mine was split...a large Pro PS in a 19" factory cabinet and the tt in a plinth. I needed some service work and a much neater interconnection between the parts along with all switching functions removed from the motor unit which was to be mounted Kaneda style in a slate plinth which is fully cut-out and waiting for final fitting testing and polishing...But the repairman had finished the work and we met-up. I have to say that the quality of the work appeared to be of a very very high standard. He suggested that I had the strobe light sender replaced...this suited me as I was on my way to France on holiday and I could collect it on my return rather than subject it to 1800 miles of French driving.........When I returned he was not there, nor has he answered any mails, phone calls made by anyone who is also in the lurch. It is claimed that he has had a massive mental breakdown....but I am too cynical to accept that although I realise such things do happen. To go and see for myself means a 900 mile round trip plus possible overnight stay and from what I gather from others no-one has managed to get their gear back. Although a valuable TT the cost of legal action is likely to double the loss as it is unlikely that it would succeed. Additionally - I have heart problems and do not need the stress of this course of action. :crying:

An expensive mistake...but I have another SP10 - which needs to be regained from a friend and have a 'full' rebuild.

A UK 'SP 10 expert' who posts on this site has nothing whatsoever to do with any of this; that they are based not too far from each other is purely coincidental.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Having looked more carefully at your pics I realised that something was wrong...old age has caught up with me so I got the unit out to take a pic. It is NOT - as previously said - a Pearl; it is an Xono with boards dated 2005!

Apologies for wasting your time 6L6. Here is a pic anyway! If anyone has any experience of this amp I would be p[leased to read their impressions - especially with low output MCs

I heard a DIY Xono with a Van den Hul MC and IMO it sounded marvellous. All the qualities plus more dynamics than my Pearl 2. The power supply was in a separate box to reduce hum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.