F5....and Martin Logan Sequel Panels? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2010, 12:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default F5....and Martin Logan Sequel Panels?

All,

My F5 construction is progressing well--thanks to all the DIY'ers out there who have once again piqued my interest in audiophile things. (Thanks)

A question. I have a pair of pristine Martin Logal Sequel panels in storage, and have already built HV power supplies and ESL driver transformers for them. My intent was to use them with an Onyko Integra "Grand" amp I have. I'd use the Sequels for mids and highs, with a hefty Class D plate amp and 2 x 15" woofers in transmission line enclosures for bass. (Have a Driverack 260 that I'll use for crossover and equalization).

I'm pondering how well the F5 would match up with the Sequel panels. I suspect the efficiency of the panels would be problematic, when used with the F5. Anyone have any thoughts about this combination?

Thanks--if nothing else, when the amp is done and I have the TL subs built, I might have to settle in with a good bottle of Merlot and experiment.

Ken
Old 14th December 2010, 12:33 PM   #2
ramallo is offline ramallo  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ramallo
Hello,

I tried the F5 with an Apogee Stages and a Quad ESL2805. Superb with both loudspeakers, the best sounding amplifier I tried with the Stages, but a bit short of power on both.

I believe will be a nice idea use two F5's, one per channel in bridge.

With the Apogees the amplifier runs cooler

Cheers

Last edited by ramallo; 14th December 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add
Old 14th December 2010, 02:24 PM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

It will play, but it's really not enough power - even bridged or "X" versions are a little low in power imo... you need voltage swing for ESLs...

_-_-bear
Old 14th December 2010, 06:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
A friend tried the F5 on an older set of Sound Labs ESL. Lacked power. Settled on 1000watt Spectron, just to give you an idea.
Old 14th December 2010, 11:41 PM   #5
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Having an pair of
SL3's myself, you need to design in a skanspeak mid bass driver between your proposed 15" woofer and ML panel. The stock SL3 has a terrible mid bass to speak of already with its 10" woofer transition.

Regards
David
Old 15th December 2010, 07:24 PM   #6
The one and only

Historically I've driven Sequels with ordinary 50 and 100
watt amplifiers, but I have modest SPL needs.

Old 15th December 2010, 07:56 PM   #7
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramallo View Post
Hello,

I tried the F5 with an Apogee Stages and a Quad ESL2805. Superb with both loudspeakers, the best sounding amplifier I tried with the Stages, but a bit short of power on both.

I believe will be a nice idea use two F5's, one per channel in bridge.

With the Apogees the amplifier runs cooler

Cheers....
wouldn't bridging be worst due to the impedance ...? cant imagine an F5 powering Apps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
It will play, but it's really not enough power - even bridged or "X" versions are a little low in power imo... you need voltage swing for ESLs...

_-_-bear
and Current for the Apps ...
Old 15th December 2010, 07:57 PM   #8
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
Historically I've driven Sequels with ordinary 50 and 100
watt amplifiers, but I have modest SPL needs.

100 watt F5's ....
Old 16th December 2010, 01:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote: "Having an pair of SL3's myself, you need to design in a skanspeak mid bass driver between your proposed 15" woofer and ML panel. The stock SL3 has a terrible mid bass to speak of already with its 10" woofer transition."

----Great minds, David, on your comment above. Actually I've bought a dozen 7" shielded woofers (Dayton Audio RS180S-8) that I tentatively plan on using with the ML panels. Two enclosures--each with a SL3 panel, and a linear array of six each 7" woofers (I almost hate to call a 7" speaker a "woofer", but Dayton Audio does). I'll let the Driverack serve as the cross-over and equalizer between the three subsystems. All of this might become overkill--will give it more thought, as I get closer to cutting timber.
Old 16th December 2010, 01:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nelson, and all--thanks for your inputs. I'll probably use the F5 with conventional speakers, and use the Onkyo Grand on the ESLs in the other audio room....

Nelson--agreed, on the conservative listening levels. I'm the same--unless, of course, I want to fire up the Greatful Dead, Grand Funk, Vanilla Fudge, or Tower of Power to blow the dust of the rafters in the old listening room....(!)

Hide this!Advertise here!