To Mr Nelson Pass, XA160.5 with Wilson Sashas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am informed that Mr. Poltun is currently running the Sashas
satisfactorily with XA100.5 amplifiers.

:cool:

yup

and predecessor lousy ones were sent to Might ZM , for proper disposal

Attachments

• ZM-Genius.jpg
    ZM-Genius.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 308
So guys, the 1.8 ohm dip at 92Hz, is this kind of problem generally overcome by high current amplifiers (like the XA series)?

Also, I have learnt MC2301 tube amps output close to 20 amps current, so I don't know if that shed any more light on whether or not they would be suitable for the Sashas?

Cheers, Keyser

Joined 2006
Paid Member
So guys, the 1.8 ohm dip at 92Hz, is this kind of problem generally overcome by high current amplifiers (like the XA series)?

Also, I have learnt MC2301 tube amps output close to 20 amps current, so I don't know if that shed any more light on whether or not they would be suitable for the Sashas?

Cheers, Keyser

Hmmmmmm.......... no offense intended - but with 20 amps pumping out are your voice coils water cooled???? I mean WOW!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It sounds like you have made your mind up on the Sasha speakers. Take them to the Mcintosh and Pass dealers and have a listen. Make the intelligent choice which is the one YOU personally like. Do not be swayed by the salesman or woman. Then leave and come back a few days later after you have thought it over. Also, do not listen to your comrades. They come and go. This equipment will be with you for a long time.
Any dealer selling 10,000 dollar stereo gear should be more than willing to work with you on this. You are making a purchase that will last several decades. Remember to take some of your favorite CD's with you.

Enjoy Tad

My sheet indicates that the XA100.5 will peak out at about
28 amps, so it should have a little reserve....

:cool:

Yet Keyser is worried about the XA160.5 not being enough amp...

FWIW, I drive speakers with lower sensitivity (89dB) yet slightly higher impedance (6 ohm minimum) with XA60.5s and plenty loud. But I admit I have seen the needles twitch. I'd be all over those XA160.5, personally.

This discussion is about some very serious equipment. Just how big is the room you plan to install your setup in? As many qualified individuals have stated previously the majority of the music material will never use more that 10 watts of output power. Just one more reason why SE tube amps are so popular.
Since this is the DIY audio forum I suggest you find a good layout here and build your own. Nothing sounds better than home grown. I really liked my massive Mcintosh setup and was totally pleased with the quality of sound. However, I also like my Leach clone DIY amp and all the extra money I was able to stash away when I sold the Mac gear.
Honestly you will enjoy building and learning. The overall rewards far exceed the name plate heading on any amplifier especially when the name on the amp is your own.

Do not tell me none of you guys have never been swayed by a nice looking YOUNG curvy saleswomen.

Tad

i have the Pass Labs Xa 100.8 driving Wilson Sasha mk i.
alos been wondering if i should uograde to Xa 160.8.

But Xa 100.8 max output current is 40 amps. this is better than the Xa 160.5 which has 36 amps.
Therefore the Xa 100.8 should control the Sasha better than the Xa 160.5

Is this correct Mr Nelson Pass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.