To Mr Nelson Pass, XA160.5 with Wilson Sashas? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2010, 01:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
I don't see any problem - there's enough hardware to do it.

Dear Nelson,

Sorry to be picky, but just so I'm clear, was this original comment about the XA160.5s and the MC2301s? Or just the XA160.5s? As I said, I really value your opinion here!

Thanks mate,

Keyser
Old 10th December 2010, 09:47 PM   #12
The one and only

I can't render an opinion on the Macs, not having heard
them.

Old 24th December 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Dear Nelson, and anyone else who might be able to help,

I think perhaps crucially, I found the following information about the Wilson Sashas in a Hifi Critic review.

"A quick back of envelope calculation shows that 115dB maximum sound level at lm (on axis peak program - pretty well the aural limit for a domestic listening room, and equivalent to 11OdB for a stereo pair at the listening location) will need 200W/ch (40 volts RMS), and I do not see the need for any more. This requires a potential momentary peak current draw of 32A. Rarely can even the largest valve amplifiers deliver more than 15A peak so here is a lesson. For best bass at higher volume levels with Sasha, as potentially offered by this class of loudspeaker, choose a low impedance amplifier and cable, ideally less than 0.3ohm in total with a 25A peak rating for 100W and a 35A peak rating for 200W nominal (8ohm) rating."

I have also been told by Mcintosh that the MC2301 tube amps output a fairly high current of almost 20 amps. I am not technically versed, but I wonder if this information, coupled with the quote above, might offer some further insight into the question of whether or not the Sashas and the MC2301s would make good mates?

The Hifi Critic review seems to say that 25/35 amps is ideal, so I'm not sure if the MC2301's 20 amps will cut it. As I said though, this technical stuff is pretty meaningless to me, so any help, from anyone, would be much appreciated,

I should add that a tight, punchy bass is important to me, so I'm not sure if tubes will let me down in this respect,

Best wishes,

Keyser
Old 24th December 2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

you really need a demo ;

technical facts and other's opinion can give you only basic directions , but final judgment must be reserved for listening test ......

in any case - your ears are in command , not anyone else's

so - as Papa sez :

Quote:
however if you are spending this
much money on speakers and amplifiers, you owe yourself
a listen first, and any dealer trying to make a sale this
large should be able to arrange a demo.
Old 24th December 2010, 10:33 PM   #15
Manu is offline Manu  Europe
diyAudio Member

At the Vienna State Opera musical archive, they use Passlabs amps with Wilsons (I don't recall which ones).
My neighbor is cellist at the Vienna philharmonics.
He told me he was very impressed by the sound of the combo ...

Manu
Old 25th December 2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

that's my Manu !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf poltun-xa160.pdf (94.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: pdf poltun-xa160-x600.pdf (128.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 25th December 2010, 01:49 PM   #17
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

.........interesting.
thank you.
Old 25th December 2010, 02:36 PM   #18
JR_W is offline JR_W  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
that's my Manu !
Those .pdfs appear to be regarding the XA160, not the XA160.5. Pass mentions the improvements of the XA.5 over the earlier XA series:

Quote:
The newly introduced XA.5 series incorporates all the improvements of the new X.5 series (see below) and also operate pure Class A. The distortion is even lower, the control is even better.

More importantly, the XA.5 amplifiers have tremendously larger output current capacity over their corresponding XA models more than five times the current which is more than 25 times the power into very low impedance loads. Very difficult loudspeakers are now very appropriate loads for XA.5s.

Sonically the result is:

Greater power and control No matter what your loudspeaker, the X.5 and XA.5 power amplifiers have the power and stability essential to deliver the music without strain. They have the dynamic range to do justice to the 24 bit recordings of the 21st Century and the elegance to retrieve the micro dynamics offered by the most sensitive loudspeakers. This simplicity and power moves easily from total silence to explosive transients with ease and without information loss.
So if the review was that good for the XA160, then the XA160.5 should be even better.
Old 25th December 2010, 05:22 PM   #19
jpspock is offline jpspock  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze311 View Post
Dear Nelson,

Sorry to be picky, but just so I'm clear, was this original comment about the XA160.5s and the MC2301s? Or just the XA160.5s? As I said, I really value your opinion here!

Thanks mate,

Keyser
Dear Keyser,

I use Sasha with a pair of XA100.5 and he has more power than needed for Sasha's. The result is absolutely fabulous, I'm just waiting from Pass a preamp as good as serie XA. The XP20 is a very, very good preamp, but as it will be the last preamp I will buy, I would like something exceptionnal, as the XA100.5 is and Sasha too.

Many thanks to Mr Pass and his team for the great gear they build.

Jean-Paul
Old 27th December 2010, 08:15 PM   #20
The one and only

I am informed that Mr. Poltun is currently running the Sashas
satisfactorily with XA100.5 amplifiers.

Hide this!Advertise here!