HELP! Aleph 5 For Beginners. Step by step

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to make a pair of Aleph 2's or a single Aleph 5.

I don't know much about electronics. I know what resistors, capacators, heatsinks, and so forth are. I'm not trying to learn electronics.

I'm a audiophile living on a middle class income. I just got to have an Aleph but I don't want to have to take an electronics course to do so.

so I'm looking for PCB boards and parts list WITH specific part numbers and suppliers.

The following site is a good example but I need the same for an Aleph 5:
PCB layout and Parts Kit

I could probably make the boards myself if someone could explain the process of taking the computer image and transfering to PCB. (I've made pcb boards before, but not from printed plans. You know, the old black tape, preprinted circles,etc.)

Someone should just make an Aleph kit. I'd buy it!

used Aleph 5's show up on EBay all the time.

Aleph 2's aren't a beginners project.

Mr. Pass has been more than generous with his ideas and
products as it is. Someone selling kits would be just wrong.

plus, it would probably cheaper to buy one used anyway.

Build a Zen Version 4 amp! gather up all the parts, find some
heat sinks. Read the article. Do It Yourself!!!

That's where the fun is man :) Join the club! You can do it!!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
moe29 said:
used Aleph 5's show up on EBay all the time.

Aleph 2's aren't a beginners project.

Mr. Pass has been more than generous with his ideas and
products as it is. Someone selling kits would be just wrong.

plus, it would probably cheaper to buy one used anyway.

Build a Zen Version 4 amp! gather up all the parts, find some
heat sinks. Read the article. Do It Yourself!!!

That's where the fun is man :) Join the club! You can do it!!
I agree with Moe top to bottom. At the very least, you should search through and read what's available on the Pass forum. There are many threads about the experiences of beginner and veteran DIY'ers while building their Aleph amps. You will either be inspired to learn how to make one yourself or be discouraged by what's involved in the process. It's not easy, but nothing worth having ever is.

obregoru said:
Alephs do sell all the time on Ebay but I've never seen one go for less than a grand.

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not asking IF I should attempt this, but rather, I'm looking for a "prepackaged" type of deal.

i don't think you will find one

i don't see what the huge deal is about pre-packaged deals
i built 2 things so far .. 1 kit and 1 from scratch
the only problem is ordering from multiple vendors and having to wait ..

obregoru said:
Alephs do sell all the time on Ebay but I've never seen one go for less than a grand.

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not asking IF I should attempt this, but rather, I'm looking for a "prepackaged" type of deal.

Building your own Aleph5 will also cost you a grand (or more). At least if you use some proper parts (of course sometimes you have special deals for heatsinks, elcos, trafos etc which can save you a $100 or so).

But don't forget you need some tools too (they alone have cost met $500 up to now).

I'm building an Aleph 5 with boards from Kristijan.
This is not to difficult for someone who has no electronics experience. (Like myself) The problems I encountered were answered on a Dutch forum or right here.
Kristijan is also always kind enough to give a helping hand.

Read this forum carefully and you'll learn a lot!

Good luck!

obregoru said:
>>Kristijan sells pcb w/partlist for aleph 5. Might help you get started.
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/aleph-5.html

No offense, but is this safe? How do I order? I'm leery of using my credit card overseas!

Well it might cost a grand to produce my first amp, I do plan on making six aleph 2's or three Aleph 5's for my home theater -- the savings cost will make up for the tools.

Don't save on the airco ;)

PS Kristijan is reliable. Many went before.

Kristijan's stuff is excellent.

I paid him using Western Union. Was a snap. :nod:

-----------------------------------------------------

6 Aleph 2's... i wonder if you could run them on one normal house
circuit. That would be 6 1K VA Transformers humming along all
at once :devilr:

Someone else here was building an Aleph Theatre a while back...
i wonder how he's doing (will have to do some searching!)

I also think you should try a Zen V4. As a beginner I built one as well and it was a wonderful experience. It cost less than US$400. If you pay for the PCBs from Pass DIY you get sent a nice bound manual explaining the circuit and providing construction instructions plus specific part numbers for every component. The circuit is easy to build and setup and it's really good sound, albeit very weak for typical low efficiency speakers, bass especially.

Of course if you're willing to risk a little more, study some ahead of time or get a friend to help you, the Aleph 5 is a good thing to try too... simple reliable design. I'm helping a friend build one this summer.

OK Folks,

I just got a metal lathe -- which means I can cut nice knobs! I'm also going to get a bandsaw so I can cut plate metal.

If anyone is willing to help me with an Aleph 5 or an Aleph 2, then I'd be more than willing to custom cut knobs and plate aluminium. Match some mosfets for me and I'll cut you a set of knobs (great for Aleph P or other things).

Finally, I'll be getting some Alumalloy soon. This product lets you "weld" aluminium with a propane torch.

Hmm. Maybe I can fabricate cases if someone is willing to help assembly parts of the amp (I buy parts.)

Any takers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.