Penultimate Zen SNR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amo said:
Has anyone measured the SNR for Penultimate Zen? The documentation states 35mv... I do not know much about this, but my calcultion puts it around -80dB... Does this sound right???

I do not have the equipment to measure it. But I have a Croft OTL amp that HI-FI World measured the S/N at 107 db. My Zen V4 with a C-L-C filter is just as quiet.
My speakers are 100 db efficicent and the Zen V4 is silent paired with them. No hum or any transients on power up or down. I was surprised that charging the output cap did not produce noise on power up.

George

Re: Re: Penultimate Zen SNR?

Panelhead said:
amo said:
Has anyone measured the SNR for Penultimate Zen? The documentation states 35mv... I do not know much about this, but my calcultion puts it around -80dB... Does this sound right???

I do not have the equipment to measure it. But I have a Croft OTL amp that HI-FI World measured the S/N at 107 db. My Zen V4 with a C-L-C filter is just as quiet.
My speakers are 100 db efficicent and the Zen V4 is silent paired with them. No hum or any transients on power up or down. I was surprised that charging the output cap did not produce noise on power up.

George

Thanks. Where can I find information on a C-L-C filter?

Re: Re: Re: Penultimate Zen SNR?

amo said:

Thanks. Where can I find information on a C-L-C filter?

A C-L-C filter is a cap input, choke (L), cap filter. The circuit shows a single 22,000 ufd cap after the rectifier bridge and then the Zen V4.
Suitable chokes are not real common anymore. I used a 10,000 ufd cap, 2.6 mH 6 amp choke, and a 10,000 ufd cap.
This may be overkill. The series regulaor in the V4 does not really need more filtering.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.