DIY Speaker Suggestions to use with F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I’m looking for suggestions for a DIY speaker to use with a F5. My budget is around $400 for the drivers.

My listening room is 15X20. Half of what I listen to is classical, the balance is blues, jazz and some classic rock. I’d prefer bookshelf or stand mounted speakers, but smaller towers are ok.

I’ve looked at Parts Express, Madison Sound, GR Research and many other sites. There are so many it hard to pick one particular design. So I’m hoping to get a few suggestions to help narrow it down a bit.

Thanks

PHL make some nice high efficiency drivers. You could have a look around for designs using those.

Or if you can wait you might like to try the new Seas full ranger supplemented with a woofer for bass duties. There is a good chance Nelson will publish an open baffle design using something like this, but if you don't like open baffle there is no reason why you couldn't box them up.

Hello,
I’m looking for suggestions for a DIY speaker to use with a F5. My budget is around $400 for the drivers.

My listening room is 15X20. Half of what I listen to is classical, the balance is blues, jazz and some classic rock. I’d prefer bookshelf or stand mounted speakers, but smaller towers are ok.

I’ve looked at Parts Express, Madison Sound, GR Research and many other sites. There are so many it hard to pick one particular design. So I’m hoping to get a few suggestions to help narrow it down a bit.

Thanks

Your question will be easier to deal with if you can tell us the following when you have listened to the following "types" of speakers: What did you consider to be their strengths and weaknesses (what did you especially like, or what could you not live with). This is your preference and there is no "right" answer. Otherwise we have no idea what you personally prioritize in a speaker

1. Open baffle
2. Front loaded horn (high efficiency)
3. TL designs
4. Panel speakers (electrostats etc)
5. Sealed cabinets and bass reflex
6. Back loaded and single driver designs

by addressing these general types we can get a better idea about what is important to you. Otherwise folks will simply recommend their own favorites.

BTW, for some of these types, used cabinets may be more affordable than DIY.

I've heard a variety of F5 clones on quite a few different DIY speakers. An eminence 15" woofer + 1" compression/horn is a great choice, but might push the budget. I used a pair of the proac 2.5 clones for a long time with my F5, and now use a pair of altec 604s. Because the F5 does push a solid 25 watts, you can use a less sensitive speaker... depending on room size and personal volume choices.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've heard a variety of F5 clones on quite a few different DIY speakers. An eminence 15" woofer + 1" compression/horn is a great choice, but might push the budget.

That formula works quite well for me, even with B-1 driving it. I currently am using a JBL 4507 box (approximately 5 cu ft) tuned to about 32 hz with JBL 2235H 15 inch driver and B&C DE 250 ( inch compression driver ) which is just enjoyable as hell to listen to with F-5.

There are times when a little more gain would be useful, so I am planning Zen Mod's Pumpkin pre amp actually, volume is quite sufficient as is, ( mid 90s at listening position) probably just a "I want more" thing. It will pass.

Russellc

You are going about it backwards. There's HUGE differences in speakers compared to amps. That's mainly because speakers suck bad compared to amplifiers and other electronics. In my limited experience with this silly hobby, the way to audio nirvana is to find a speaker that tickles your fancy, then build the rest of the system around them.

For me, that's electrostats.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.