Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

The two main "pass" mosFETs do not dissipate maximum power at the same time.
This makes it economic for the two to share a heatsink. see below.
But both must be electrically isolated form the Chassis.

Worst case 1.
If the output is shorted, the CCS FET passes normal current but drops the whole supply voltage. CCS is at max dissipation and the Shunt FET has zero dissipation.

Worst case 2.
When output is open circuit, the Shunt FET is at max dissipation. Now the TOTAL dissipation of both FETs is the same as the worst case in the shorted condition. The same size heatsink will have the same power input.

Nortmal case.
When operating normally the total heatsink dissipation is less than the two worst cases above and the FETs will run cooler.

The two main "pass" mosFETs do not dissipate maximum power at the same time.
This makes it economic for the two to share a heatsink. See below.
But both must be electrically isolated from the Chassis.

Worst case 1.
If the output is shorted, the CCS mosFET passes normal current, but drops the whole supply voltage. CCS is at max dissipation and the Shunt mosFET has zero dissipation.

Worst case 2.
When output is open circuit, the Shunt mosFET is at max dissipation. Now the TOTAL dissipation of both mosFETs is the same as in the worst case 1 (the shorted condition). The same size heatsink will have the same power input.

Normal case.
When operating normally the total heatsink dissipation is less than the two worst cases above and the FETs will run cooler.

repost with errors corrected.

I am about finished with making my chassis and ready to start stuffing the PCB
I only need 2 inputs so will there be a problem with using only two relays and leaving the other spots just empty. It looks like the single path tones out with my DMM with out the use of jumpers is this correct.

Thanks Dave

Just finished my DCB1 the hardest part was making the chassis a lot of test fitting it was my first time making a chassis all out of medal. I used Nichicon KG electrolytic caps and PRP and Vishay resistor, and Cardas RCA's. Everything tested spot on power up and it just sounds wonderful so much more depth to the sound stage I couldn't believe it I thought the B1 sounded good but this is another level.

Thanks Salas and everyone else that had a part in bring this to life. Here is a few photos.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its only there when you connect a phono stage VS any line level source on that same input? Surely the phono stage does not produce that hum when connected to another preamp? Try making the DCB1 chassis grounded using a wire from its PSU 0 to chassis if that will help the general scheme of things with the phono.

Its only there when you connect a phono stage VS any line level source on that same input? Surely the phono stage does not produce that hum when connected to another preamp? Try making the DCB1 chassis grounded using a wire from its PSU 0 to chassis if that will help the general scheme of things with the phono.

The hum follows the inputs either one the phono plugged into. Are you saying add a wired to the center tap then to the chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free