Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

Just try a few different coloured LEDs to get the voltage right.

Mine uses a mixture of RED and GREEN.

After this photo was taken I separated the Salas Reg from the B1 and used it with a Pass B1 PCB (copy).

Attachments

• DSIR9364.JPG
    DSIR9364.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 451
  • DSIR9373.JPG
    DSIR9373.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Now you have one more thing to look forward to! Does your receiver have a pure analog mode? That's how I ran my Denon for years and the sound wasn't bad.

Good question - had to check owners manual. There is a PureDirect Mode - I will have to enable it out. I probably have to live with this for a few months until the B-1 gets built.

There was a huge jump in sound quality adding the F5 and going pre amp out. I am sure there will be a less dramtic, yet noticable improvment adding the B-1. What has been everyone's experience swapping in a B-1 over there old kit in terms of improvement?

Very rewarding to improve my sound with each upgrade that I built myself - with a lot of help from DIYAudio members!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There was a huge jump in sound quality adding the F5 and going pre amp out. I am sure there will be a less dramtic, yet noticable improvment adding the B-1. What has been everyone's experience swapping in a B-1 over there old kit in terms of improvement?

About quality you will see, but if there is excess gain now in the chain and the Mez will rectify that, it will be very obvious in SQ jump up too.

Are there alternatives to 2SK170BL (DCB1) and 2SK117GR (SSLV)?

I can find 2SK117(F) and has ordered 25 pcs. It is non-graded version, i.e. Full range Idss range from 1.2 ~ 12mA. Ok, I am going to measure the Idss and hope that I can find the pcs with the required Idss.

The 170BL are difficult to find.

Any suggestion?

Spencer sells these, as well as Alweit on ebay.
Both are reliable sources.

Those got mentioned several times in the 'Swap Meet' section... have a look or use the Search function...

I also recall a seller named Fet Store (?) selling those, I am not sure about the name though

Thank you for the suggestion.
Surely, I will order some from Spencer.

By alternatives, I mean other jfets that may be used for the DCB1 or SSLV.
After inspecting some Toshiba jfets datasheets, I guess 2SK30A (for SSLV)and 2SK117 (for DCB1) maybe candidates for my spare pcbs.