Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2013, 05:53 PM   #751
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Salas,

I've got all of my parts for a DCB1 hot-rod build with a Lightspeed attenuator, likely driven by one of the MV-04 remote control kits from e-bay (the cool part is that it will stay out of the signal path!). The last element to plan is a chassis configuration. I'm trying to gauge the necessary level of heat sinking capacity. It looks like the power supply for the big MOSFETs is 10v, so if I run at 600mA, the mosfets will dissipate 6w each? So, close to 25w total dissipation at 600mA?

Am I approaching this the right way?

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by Eric; 16th April 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 16th April 2013, 06:15 PM   #752
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Correct analysis.
Old 16th April 2013, 06:16 PM   #753
diyAudio Member

Thank you
Old 6th May 2013, 01:23 PM   #754
Neville is offline Neville  United States
diyAudio Member

About to order parts for my new Mez pcb

Post 717 has a new BOM, Thanks for that. Salas, are there any other updates you see needed in that? Is that BOM just for stock....no hotrodding?

The LED p/n for Mouser I found in the "DC Coupled B1 Shunt PSU V4.3.pdf" links to yellow but from what I read, red is preferable....Would yellow suffice?
Old 6th May 2013, 01:42 PM   #755
diyAudio Chief Moderator

A Mez can't take heavy hot rod anyway, that BOM is for low current Mez. Specifically the 4x68R and the DO-41 rectifiers. Yellow or red they are both low noise and near for voltage drop. Its usual that red has a bit lower drop. You can change to 4X27R while mounting the Mosfets to the box floor with insulating silpads. Or clip sinked individually making no other contact. You can also choose for yourself the 220K & 220R types referred as Takman Carbon between many boutique resistors alternatives. Still a low ppm Dale type would be at least equal.
Old 6th May 2013, 02:35 PM   #756
Neville is offline Neville  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
A Mez can't take heavy hot rod anyway, that BOM is for low current Mez. Specifically the 4x68R and the DO-41 rectifiers. Yellow or red they are both low noise and near for voltage drop. Its usual that red has a bit lower drop. You can change to 4X27R while mounting the Mosfets to the box floor with insulating silpads. Or clip sinked individually making no other contact. You can also choose for yourself the 220K & 220R types referred as Takman Carbon between many boutique resistors alternatives. Still a low ppm Dale type would be at least equal.

Thanks Salas. I plan to go stock for now with 4x68R and sinks on the 240/9240. I have seen posts hotrodding this pcb and I know there is plenty of caution given.....would it handle 2x10R 6.5w and add cpu or amp heatsinks to the 240/9240 ?
Old 6th May 2013, 02:40 PM   #757
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They don't get that hot with 10R for going CPU sinks. 5C/W for each one would be plenty. Mount the MUR120 diodes upright in that situation. Its the way they dissipate to air best.
Old 6th May 2013, 03:44 PM   #758
diyAudio Member

Hmmm... I am planning to build my Mezmerize board hot-rod style as well. I presume that if I mount high-current diodes off board with a sink, mount the bias set resistors off board, double up the PS caps, and sink the power mosfets that I'd be fine taking the bias up to 800-1000mA?

Is there any other design constraint with the remainder of the board that makes this not a good idea?

Last edited by Eric; 6th May 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 6th May 2013, 06:24 PM   #759
diyAudio Chief Moderator

With 0.8-1A you will not need sinking on TO-220 rectifier diodes and you will avoid the elongated leads inductance. Keep strays to a minimum in general.
Old 6th May 2013, 07:02 PM   #760
diyAudio Member

Excellent! Thank you, again, Salas!

Hide this!Advertise here!