Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

It's a standard shunt regulator configuration with the current limiting resistor removed, same as any bias generator in Papa's amps.

RV=5K
R1= linked out to save space
R2=1K

Vref = 2.495V

Attachments

• TL431.jpg
    TL431.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 434
  • TL431 Bias.jpg
    TL431 Bias.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Agreed, but in their function they will still be inaudible.

As with everything, it's a compromise, the benefit of using the TL431 over the LEDs is that if there is a slight DC offset on the outputs (in the same direction), it can be nulled by trimming one of the supply rails, rather than risking damage to the PCB by swapping LEDs.

Agreed, but in their function they will still be inaudible.

As with everything, it's a compromise, the benefit of using the TL431 over the LEDs is that if there is a slight DC offset on the outputs (in the same direction), it can be nulled by trimming one of the supply rails, rather than risking damage to the PCB by swapping LEDs.

I wasn't referring to swapping LEDs once soldered. Just measure them under operating condtions on a bread-board.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thinking of it (+12dB gain, great sounding and neutral in character, using +/-10V PSU, no coupling caps and designed in compliance with B1/Pass concepts) I came to this idea (in attachment) based on Mr. Pass' proposal from BAF2013. Having LSK/LSJ JFETs available makes this possible.
J310 CCS provides about 20mA each, LSK/LSJ JFETs work at Vds of 7.5V and with Id at about 80% of Idss. P1 enables dynamic matching/distortion profile optimizing and P2 sets the DC offset.
Preamp's max. output is about 7V_peak of clean swing.
Zout is determined by value of R9 and it's not critical (R9/R6 ratio determines the gain of the circuit) since we have a Mesmerize buffer stage next to it.
I think they will work great together. AFAIC, it would be very difficult to find a better sounding gain stage...

I really love this Juma!
What Idss do I need for the JFets?
I wanted my DCB1 to be combined with a BA3 as a pre, but maybe this is even better for switching in some extra gain when needed.
And it is DC coupled.

Thanks