Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2011, 10:25 PM   #401
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

I meant, I didn't do the circuit myself. It was an assembled board, as per the UPC1237 Datasheet, without the "Overload protection" pin being used for anything, only the offset detection.
Old 8th November 2011, 10:41 PM   #402
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It includes some start delay and needs its own DC PSU? 12V relay?
Old 8th November 2011, 10:53 PM   #403
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

You use the DC from the main PSU. A dropping resistor and a cap form the Turn-on constant. The board I got delays the speakers with about 3 sec. on turn on.

It's got an 'AC-gone' detection as well. If you use it, you drag a wire from the transformer to the circuit, via a half-wave rectifier. This way,on turn off, it disconnects the speakers immediately. If you don't want to use that, just wire that pin to DC+ as well.

Of course, there are numerous configurations possible. We have quite a few threads here that discus that IC, so there should be enough info for anyone.
Old 8th November 2011, 10:56 PM   #404
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Old 9th November 2011, 06:06 AM   #405
diyAudio Member

Thank you all. Very helpful and useful.
Old 10th November 2011, 12:27 AM   #406
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Don't worry, the Vo imbalance in the Mez is designed in by me by voicing it. Its normal. On the resistors its a matter of Vgs and leds. PMOS & NMOS don't have the same ID/VGS curves. You can try have about same current there by trimming the resistors (Vrset/Rset=ICCS), but it won't change anything audibly at that range.
Dear Salas,

You mentioned this a number of times. I have always been fascinated by the concept of "voicing". Could you give some details about the process ?

Thanks,

Davide
Old 10th November 2011, 12:56 AM   #407
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its a subjective touch after all technical is in order. Got to know your system and trust yourself. What kind of distortion profile, some PSU synergy, Iq, voltage point, maybe choice of influential parts values or makes. Keeping notes, trying for coherence in tone. Letting it play for a while, revisiting. Such stuff.
Old 13th November 2011, 01:34 PM   #408
diyAudio Member

My two cent on the use of the DCB1 with F5: my DCB1 has been connected for 6 month now to my F5, I use it regularly, and never had a problem. Just I am careful on what and how I connect things. I check offset from time to time.

One question that I always wanted to ask: if I want to go balanced, do I really need to have a double PSU, of you think I can use a single psu, considering that mine is pretty high in current.

D.
Old 13th November 2011, 04:46 PM   #409
diyAudio Chief Moderator

This is one the few balanced users remain to reply. I have no personal experience into balanced DCB1.
Old 19th November 2011, 05:45 PM   #410
Marinos is offline Marinos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
I have a question about the unmatched k170s. I have a tea-bag's bag of K170s. Keeping the 7-8 ma for B1 and Simplistic RIAA use, I have a lot of 6 and some of 9,10 ma to use.
Is there any preference between them ?

Hide this!Advertise here!