Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2011, 04:07 PM   #161
Horio is offline Horio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
One guy was posting about planning to make a balanced one. Have not seen him posting he finished yet.
I know johnwmclean and I are both planning on building balanced DCB1's (hot-rod). I've got my two boards mostly built, and I'm waiting on some SumR transformers to arrive before I trying powering them up.
Old 28th January 2011, 04:13 PM   #162
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas.
Old 28th January 2011, 04:32 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horio View Post
I know johnwmclean and I are both planning on building balanced DCB1's (hot-rod). I've got my two boards mostly built, and I'm waiting on some SumR transformers to arrive before I trying powering them up.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it turns out. Right now I am building a simple borberly design. Taking baby steps into this crazy diy world. Then again, simple is not aways bad!
Old 28th January 2011, 06:52 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Poke the DVM around for V+/V- PSU, DC offset, drop across current set resistors, for a general health check. Let us know. Congrats for putting it together.
My v+ is 9.90, the v- is -9.66. Is that close enough? I wonder if I toasted one of the LEDs when I put it in backwards. DC offset is .1 on the left and .5 on the right. Which resistor do I need to measure for the CCS?
Old 28th January 2011, 07:20 PM   #165
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Your voltages are OK. You could not toast an LED if it did not light up. If 0.1 and 0.5 you mentioned is in mV then the offsets are OK too. There are some paralleled 68R near the edges of the Mez board towards the transformer input side. Measure V across those.
Old 28th January 2011, 07:37 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

2.42v on one set, 1.79v across the other. Those 68R resistors are the buggers I'd need to replace if I want to hotrod, right? I've got the mosfets bolted to the chassis, but the chassis is from an old ethernet switch. The metal's pretty thin, not sure if it'll stand the heat.
Old 28th January 2011, 07:50 PM   #167
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Just replace the 2X68R with 2X47R for the 1.79V side so to have 70+mA in both sides at a point and be happy. Its not problematic as it is, has current to spare for both sides, its just the 2.42V side is happier due to anticipated tolerances, mainly from the Mosfets. Give it a listen.
Old 28th January 2011, 08:07 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

I just replaced them with a couple of 1/2w carbon film 47R since that's all I have laying around. Now the drop across that side is 1.72v.
Old 28th January 2011, 08:09 PM   #169
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That gives 73mA. The other side gives 71mA. You are finely set. Also that output DC offset you mentioned was in mV right?
Old 28th January 2011, 08:17 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horio View Post
Yes still going for balanced (of course), but have have switched back to the new Hyno boards from the recent GB, saw you’re down for 5?? My builds going something like this sumR transformers, Nichicon KZ for the 4700uF, Silmic II for the 100uf, 0.22uf auricap (thanks qusp) for the ref bypass, Takman Carbon for the 470R, Mills 10R 5W for current, PRP for the rest, I’m aiming for hotrodding up to 300mA.

buzzforb the only balanced info I can dig up, which you’ve probably seen is this:
Click the image to open in full size.

I’m going to draw it up again with inputs, outputs, attenuator with left and right channels and re-post it up here for scrutiny. I plan to have it up this weekend.

Hide this!Advertise here!