Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

People usually bolt the DCB1's Mosfets directly to chassis floor and that dissipates the heat.

That is the plan but I'll probably run it for a couple weeks bare while I sort out the case.

I figured 45C was ok and I appreciate your advise on it - as usual I'm learning, I was suprised at how different the IR emissivity is for black anodized vs non-anodized aluminum.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I figured 45C was ok and I appreciate your advise on it - as usual I'm learning, I was suprised at how different the IR emissivity is for black anodized vs non-anodized aluminum.

I have an IR thermometer with adjustable emissivity and I never quite found well repeatable setting and distance formulas for various things. Especially for shiny ones. If its critical I still use the Fluke's thermocouple probe in the end to make sure. :D

I am interesting to build a Mezmerize B1 Buffer. I have a relay based attenuator of 10K. It is lower than suggested 20K. Can I use it? What could be the disadvantage to use it? The output impedance of my DAC is 50 ohms, and the input impedance of my power amp is 10K ohms (only balance input which is equipped on the active studio monitor)

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Technically acceptable. Maybe expect little more brilliant sound than DCB1's usual tone if with 10K. Because DCB1 has very wide bandwidth and the 10K lets it more free than with the usual 20K. But details of tone can also be property of the attenuator quality. More so than the bandwidth impact discussion.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The DCB1's shunt PSU has big reserve for such small consumption additions as it is usually set with a 150mA-200mA current limit. Just take the usual shorter possible rail cable runs and local decoupling precautions to and at the clients. Prefer 10uF tantalum local decoupling if ever needed. They are easier than film caps on how remotely seen by this reg. You can check rail stability against oscillation with a CRO or DSO when AC coupled to its probe. Vertical 10mV and sweep horizontally from 1mS to fastest.