Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2003, 04:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question new project - searching...

hi guys,

I'm looking for a new SS amp that will be able to drive my Sonus Faber - concerto home in a medium sized room. Currently, I'm using valve amp - WAD kit6550 40Wpp but it's getting very hot which is a bit of a problem in the hot summer here (AC is a noisy solution) ... I want to keep it as simple as possibe, I guess ~ 60W amp would be fine.

thanks in advance for any suggestions,

yuval
Old 12th July 2003, 08:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Cool Running Pass Amp?

You need to look on another forum. There are no amps here that run any cooler than a 40 watt push pull tube amp.
My 25 watt Zen V4 generates at least as much heat as yours and is the bottom of the pile. The heat level only goes up from there.
As used to own a pair of Manley 350's and they generated a only a little more heat than Mike W's 60 watt Aleph X. All most of the heat from the Manleys was the 16 6550's heaters.
A cool running amp to try is the Gain Clones. Those generate very little heat. Take a look at the Chipamp forum.

George
Old 12th July 2003, 08:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks George,

I thought that low power SS class A amps will run cooler... I was wrong - I will save the pass amps idea for the next winter amp :-)

those chipamp worth trying ? how is sound quality ?

Yuval
Old 13th July 2003, 07:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Opinion of Chip amps

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yuval
[B]thanks George,

I thought that low power SS class A amps will run cooler... I was wrong - I will save the pass amps idea for the next winter amp :-)

those chipamp worth trying ? how is sound quality ?

Yuval

Yuval,
The subject of the overall sound quality of the chipamps is something I am neither qualified to answer or wish to start a flame war like the one raging on the chipamps forum the last few days.
I have the parts to build one now, but lack time to fab the boxes to hold it. I am waiting to see what Nelson springs on us next week. The 2 - 160 va, 15 volt Plintrons may go into his next Passdiy Project if usable.
But a friend with more disposable income then I have purchased a Gain Card with 2 power Humpties a couple of years back. He said it was the best sounding solid state amp he had listened to at the time. His was using a Pass preamp, one with the passive volume up to a point and then active gain after. He had run one of the Alephs, and several Jeff Rowlands before the Gain Card.
But he kept the trio a couple of months and sold them. He purchased a Sun Audio 2A3 amp and was much happier. His tastes in audio gear run close to mine. I think I like the Zen V4 because it sounds closer to a tube amp than solid state.
From what I gather, no one would ever confuse one of the chips amps for a nice tubed unit. That may be good or bad depending on system matching and personnal tastes.
I you are happy with the PP 40 watt tube amp, the speed, clarity, and bass from the Gainclone may not make you happy. The warmth and overall colorations that you get from the tube amp will not be there.
But the Gain Clones can be thrown together for very little money and time. And they generate almost no heat. Might be worth the effort to save on running your AC. and might find that you really like the sound. There are many who love the way they sound.

George
Old 13th July 2003, 08:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Gain Clone

I built a Gain Clone about a month ago.My main system was/is based on Aleph 4 clone.I must say that at first I was dissapointed with the sonic performance of the GainClone.But it had to burn in,and also I have to admit that the parts quality make a troumendous diffrance in case of this amp.I played a lot with high quality parts,mostly using Peter Daniel's advices.I even bought copper foil paper in oil input capacitors.The sound got a whole lot better and it sounds really nice.I have some 95db Fostex speakers and some Altec Lansing studio monitors,so tried it with diffrent kind of speakers (also JmLab PS 5.1 and others).But at the end I must say that my opinion is that this amp is nowhere near the Aleph 4.Aleph 4 wins hands down with Gain Clone on my list of amplifiers.I think the Gain Clone is similar to fullrange drivers.It does some things extremely good ,why dismiss others.I'm not into full range drivers.They just don't do the music for me.The lack of highs and bass is too obvious to me.The same with GainClone-I'm just not into these kind of amps,becouse they don't do music for me.The properly built (high quality parts) Aleph 4 is a top class amp.The GainClone is good quality medium class amp.That is my view.
Bartek

Hide this!Advertise here!