Bosoz pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to this forum but I'm usually on the digital and tube forum here at diyaudio...

I'm building the bosoz but when i was ordering the clarostat pots from digikey, i got a shock when i looked at the price and the number of pots i needed...

so i cancelled the order hoping to find a cheaper substitute elsewhere...

searching in the pass labs forum, i've found people making stepped attenuators after failing to find a 5K dual ganged pot...

I was able to find dual 10K bourns pots on mouser.. but the 5K pots are giving me trouble..

so should i just stick with the clarostats that are specified in the article or is there a dual or quad ganged pot that somebody can recommend?

I don't want to spend the $18.66CAD/pot if possible on digikey...

And everytime i want to adjust the volume, i have to turn 4 pots.. that seems like a pain to do..

any suggestions?

I am building one of these as well. I bought all the pots mentioned in the article, now that I have a channel up and working (I think), here are my recommendations:

1. Get the pot P5, its good to have in there to adjust gain.

2. Pots P3 and P4 are what people use for the volume control, these are 5K but in parallel with 100K. I got a pair of ALPS dual pots (20K) and will simply put them in parallel with a suitable value (removing the 100K resistor) to give the equivalent resistance. So I think you can substitue any value for the 5K pot, as long as you put it in parallel with a resistor so your total resistance is the same as 5K parallel 100K. This should be electrically identical, but the rate of volume change might be different. I have not tried my approach yet, but I have the parts and hopefully can try it out in the next month.

3. Pots P1 and P2 can be taken out after you adjust the input gain to your liking so long as you replace them with the equivl. resistance. If you only buy 2 you can find the optimum setting and then take them out. I probably will leave mine in since I have 4, but probably should not have bought this many.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.